Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:28:50 AM

Author Topic: New Wizards ??  (Read 10716 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
New Wizards ??
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:13:42 AM »
Does anyone know of a wizard that is needed anywhere for anyone ???  Getting bored again (;-)

(;-) TP
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:25 PM »
Ive wanted on for finding dimensions of a existing part. My mill is wired so I can shutoff power to my stepper motors but the linear scale are powered (dro). I would like to align a usb scope to the edge of the part and press a key, saves coordinates to machcloud.
I know nothing about making wizards so I think this could be useful

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
Re: New Wizards ??
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 07:20:57 AM »
a different gear/spline cutter...a generator!

ok, so basically, use a straight sided flycutter, or endmill.

Y sinks tool in full depth +clearance (or Z if endmilling) and doesnt change through operation.

moves in X the length of blank + cutter clearance etc.

rotates A one tooth space at end of each X pass.

tool starts somewhere below/above centreline (or left/right of if endmill) and on each full rotation, ie the first gash on all the teeth, A is indexed slightly, and Z is either lifted or dropped depending on how one feeds(Y is fed if endmilling).

thus, rather than cut a single complete tooth at a time, gash each one, and by raising the z and indexing slightly, each pass is deeper,progressively generating one side of the teeth, moving past past the centreline, until the tool has cleared blank on other side and finished both sides of teeth. the amount of index and Z lift(or Y travel) determines DOC.

it would work much like a gear hob, but as one tooth... a hobs finish being limited by its diameter and number of flutes or cutting teeth per revolution... this could achieve finer or coarser finishes with one tool :)

a complete gear generator :)

could also allow for axis tilt and do spiral/helical gears...all with a straight sided flycutter :) really quickly, too, as the individual passes are always quite light. slower than using preground cutters...but far more accurate too!

if youre bored. cus i have no idea how to write anything :)

i will accept all credit, mind you ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:27:28 AM by HeadSmess »
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 07:33:57 AM »
you could also tweak it so the tool can be parallel sided, rather than ground to the pressure angle, by offsetting it slightly.

um. lets see. it would be slightly deeper than required along the Y axis, and lifted in the Z. and rather than pass through the centreline having completed one side of teeth, it would retract, move to the same but opposite point on the centreline and continue the other tooth faces. as it would simply cut too deeply on the centreline.

the pressure angle will be adjusted by the degree of offset from the centreline.

much akin to relief grinding on rotary cutters...
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 06:43:22 PM »
Hi,

I am new to the board, but have been playing with a router table that I built last year.  My programming has not caught up with my mechanical skills (such as they are...)

Anyway, I have a set up that I could really use some help with.  Here is a video of what I have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pu8RzoEMLY&list=UU_ussNmpn-JU0PWC8ZoBVgw

I made an attachment for my z-axis that holds 3 (possibly more) retractable sharpie markers. 

I would like to automate the use of the sharpies in my setup. There are a few things I want to modify on the mechanical setup, but generally, I think the concept is sound.

In an ideal scenario, I would like to have a g-code file that contains the triggers that sets the use of the pens in motion.  It would work a bit like an automatic tool changer - bit with different colored markers, instead of cutting tools.

So, for example, a situation might look like this:

Setup: I have placed material on the router bed and zero'd the z to the top surface of the material. 
The actions I would like to see:

1. a g-code file contains instructions to cut a 4"x6" square with a 1/2" hole in the middle. There will be a marker note in red that indicates the 6" dimension, a note in blue that indicates the 4" direction and a black note that indicates the diameter of the circle.
2. Machine starts out with the router holding a 1/4 dia endmill and the sharpie unit in the up/retracted position.
3. Upon start of the file, the machine goes to the sharpie dock and lowers the pens into the writing position.
4. The machine then goes to the pen selection position and engages the red sharpie.
5 The machine draws the notes for the red
6 The machine returns to the pen selection position for red/disengages pen.
7 The machine goes to the selection position for blue and engages
8 The machine then draws the notes for blue
9 The machine returns to the pen selection position for blue/disengages pen.
10 The machine goes to the selection position for black and engages
11 The machine then draws the notes for Black
12 The machine returns to the pen selection position for black/disengages pen.
13 the machine goes to the sharpie dock and moves the pens into the up/retracted position.
14 The machine then cuts the pattern with the router

So we would have know the following:

locations for the dock. 
We would know how much the z-axis needs to move to the change the pen positions from high (not writing) to low (writing). 
We would know the relative spacing between the pens  and so account for the offsets among them .
We would know position of the nub that will depress the button on the appropriate sharpie.

What do you think?  This is a setup that most people can build out of scrap in their shop, and it would provide some interesting features.

Offline swets

•  52 52
  • www.arjan-swets.com
    • View Profile
    • www.arjan-swets.com
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »
maybe you can make a wizzard for this:

center of the sphere is 0,0,0   ....  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 06:57:00 PM by swets »
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 06:24:31 PM »
I would like a easy wizard that woukd wirk  by using the digital readout outputs  Mach and a keystroke on the keyboard that would save those digitalreadout outputs to Mach cloud to reproduce a part using those dimensions and plugging them into a CAD CAM software. I would be very grateful.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 09:25:33 PM »
ElectroMech31,

So you want to move around the part and at each point that you stop at  you want to push a button and have it record that position XY or XYZ to a point file ?

I think that has already been done, I will look.

DAREGONE,  What you need to do iws set up your machine to do tool changes. You can set up mach3 to do all the processes you needed by a CB script to do all the monkey motions needed as well as the offsetting needed to center each pen over the CenterPoint. You will FIND that th pens dry out very quickly as you move. You may want to find some roller ball pens they will NOT dry out when drawing a lot.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:32:11 PM by BR549 »
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 11:16:15 PM »
Yes thats exactly what I wanted. It would be like turning a milling machine into a manaul cooridinate measuring machine but with memory.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 12:56:41 AM »
I found it and cleaned it up a bit. I will load it up into the MACH TOOLBOX section of this site. Under downloads.

It is called "Jog to Point Probing"

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:04:36 AM by BR549 »