Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:28:12 AM

Author Topic: Any more gizmos or gadgets needed ????  (Read 7125 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Any more gizmos or gadgets needed ????
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:11:16 AM »
Does anyone need  or can think of any more wizards that may be needed somewhere  ???????

(;-) TP
Re: Any more gizmos or gadgets needed ????
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 03:21:10 AM »
A method of probing for inspection.
Holes: Nominal XY, Actual XY, Nominal XY, Actual XY, Deviation X, Deviation Y, Diameter, Tolerance, True Position with Bonus applied determining Accept/Reject.
Profile: Nominal XYZ, Actual XYZ, Deviation XYZ, Tolerance, Determination of Accept/Reject.
Output to Excel in AS9102 Format.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:48:18 AM »
i already stated my demand elsewhere but ill try again :)

a gear generator for people that 1)  dont want to buy a hob and make a machine to use them, or 2) buy a full set of ground cutters that are only good for certain numbers of teeth, hence the full set, that then need to be purchased again when working a different module.

the current mach3 wizard is obviously geared to the people that buy cutters or can grind flycutters of the correct involute profile.

a gear can easily be generated by a series of gashes along X, with A being rotated and Z lifted simultaneously at the end of each full rotation of the work. the Z axis will start off centre and travel past the centreline, working its way to the opposite side of the centreline...

the finer the rotation of A, and the smaller the lift on Z, the finer the profile produced. and the lighter the DOC. ie, a single pass, on the centreline, would be a very coarse finish tooth, with a heavy DOC. three passes, one either side of centreline, and one on, would make a slightly more refined profile, with shallower cuts on each pass to boot... sorry if thats obvious :) break it into 5 passes, 7, 9...get the drift? more passes, more accurate tooth profiles and lighter cuts.

just like more teeth/diameter on a hob :)

the amount of rotation/zlift being determined by the module and the teeth required :) simple bit of pi.... mmm, pi :)

Y stays at full depth of tooth +clearance during the operation. just like a hob.

this means you only have to grind a simple 20 or whatever chosen pressure angle tool, with straight sides. no involutes needed, it would resemble an acme thread tool instead. simplicity itself :) any gronk with a boring bar could cut a gear...

also, by calculating the Y and Z offsets required to produce an apparent angle of 20 degrees, you could get away with a straight sided tool! meaning, slitting saws and or endmills, depending on which way you choose to cut... tool starts well below centre, moves up and forms one half of the tooth. then retracts moves up past the centreline, and continues the process for the remainder of the tooth profile.

i could sit down and write a few lines of gcode to demonstrate what the %$&^ i mean if required...(its just the current gear wizard with some tweaks...)but i couldnt write a wizard :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:03:35 AM by HeadSmess »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 09:58:05 PM »
What you are looking for is "Gearotic Motion" Written by the original author of MAch3. No need to reinvent the wheel.

ON Probing that is a job for a CMM not a simple wizard(;-)  NOT that it could not be done BUT to do inspection you have to WRITE the inspection points based on the part to be inspected. That I am aware of there are no freeform inspection routines.

Now that said some CAMS can build an inspection routine based on the DXF of the part you are working with. Then the results recorded.

(;) TP
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:39:09 PM »
fine. i go back to writing g-code and saving dollars for a while :)