Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:43:16 PM

Author Topic: Small project not going well  (Read 19438 times)

Re: Small project not going well
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 01:33:31 PM »
I was thinking of trying it today. Wife has a big Honey-Do list for me so it may have to wait... until about December! :)
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 08:38:35 PM »
I tried the Corian with some new bits I got. It works great, cuts like I imagine Ivory would. Letters look great and the little weeds in between the letters are pretty tough to get out, I'll have to get the Dremal out and finish the clean up.
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 08:54:50 PM »
I'll have to get the Dremal out and finish the clean up .............
........ and then post some nice pictures ! ! !  ;D

Happy it worked out well for ya ! Anxious to see it.

Kind regards,
Russ
 :)
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »
I tried the Corian with some new bits I got. It works great, cuts like I imagine Ivory would. Letters look great and the little weeds in between the letters are pretty tough to get out, I'll have to get the Dremal out and finish the clean up.
I see that I am not alone, in using a Dremel for the detail work!
How much did the Corian set you back? (and what size pieces for the price?)
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 12:26:30 PM »
Jammer,
I'm not sure what you need to clean with the Dremel, but I use a watery paste of BonAmi pot scrubbing powder and a toothbrush to clean my Corian engravings.
John Champlain
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 10:52:34 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151283964107?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It was $2.75 a piece for a 6 by 12" piece. Looks like he has sold out for now.
I have some engraving tools and have used them to start cleaning up the letters. I'm just afraid of slipping with the Dremal.
I'll get some pictures, I actually did a different plaque that is more detailed.
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 07:14:37 PM »
Ok, I finished them up and did a couple Ford logos. I meant to put something in for scale but the ford logos are 36 and 41mm high on the ovals.
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »
What I was going to clean up with the dermal was little areas in between the letters that the 1/16" bit could not fit into. Is there another way to clean out these areas with the code?
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 07:20:07 PM »
Hey ..... they look really nice !

I especially like the way you negated any issues with "top billing" too.
Can never be too careful.

Good job, thanks for posting !

Regards,
Russ
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »
What I was going to clean up with the dermal was little areas in between the letters that the 1/16" bit could not fit into. Is there another way to clean out these areas with the code?

I've seen some CAM's that have "Rest" machining. This allows you to change to a smaller bit and then it only cuts what the larger cutter was unable to.
You still have a rad, but a bit smaller. (bit dependent)
By hand with carving tools is the only way I know of to get a sharp inside corner.
Very tedious and time consuming.
Other solutions, I'm sure.
Russ