Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:56:51 AM

Author Topic: Slot cuting wizard by Brian/Kran  (Read 11910 times)

Re: Slot cuting wizard by Brian/Kran
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 12:35:02 PM »
Haven't used the key-way wiz.
It could be making a long diagonal cut just before cutting one side parallel to the shaft. No, there should be no taper in the finished keyway.

You might reduce those initial feed rates by 50% and then work your way up. Start slower and increase with the FRO and you can observe your machines capabilities. It greatly depends on your machine rigidity as well as other factors, every machine, especially the hobby level ones, are different. It's also a matter of chip load and rpm. You just have to experiment and make notes of what works well with your set-up.

Russ
Re: Slot cuting wizard by Brian/Kran
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 01:03:30 PM »
Thanks again, will do. I just figured out my other question on why the coordinates appeared wrong.  The coordinates in the wizard are center of slot, and they compensate for the tool diameter.  Since my slot was 2" long, it seemed to push my Negative Y way off.  Looking at it from center of slot, not the end and adding half the tool diameter, it is exact.  Makes perfect sense now.  Knowing where to start the coordinates helps put the slot where I wanted it.

Have a great day.
Ed