Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:55:03 PM

Author Topic: Table not flat to X-Y plane  (Read 4843 times)

Table not flat to X-Y plane
« on: January 19, 2014, 05:28:18 PM »
I have a routing table X-Y-Z that the cutting surface in not perfectly flat.  So that when i route something into a piece of material the depth of cut is not uniform.

Is there a way in Mach3 to compensate for non-uniform z-axis depth cutting?  I there a g-code that i can use or calibrate to my table for the z-axis?

Mike

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Table not flat to X-Y plane
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 06:24:07 PM »
Not that I know of.

Route or adjust the table so that's it's flat.

RICH
Re: Table not flat to X-Y plane
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 04:29:47 PM »
I have a routing table X-Y-Z that the cutting surface in not perfectly flat.  So that when i route something into a piece of material the depth of cut is not uniform.

Is there a way in Mach3 to compensate for non-uniform z-axis depth cutting?  I there a g-code that i can use or calibrate to my table for the z-axis?

Mike
Try this: create a pocket program (just a simple square or rectangle into LazyCAM) and run the gcode produced (the pocket program) to effectively "Plane" the pocket. It should produce a smooth, flat finish. If it does NOT, then you have issues with your Z axis. It could be something as simple as loose mounting bolts of the router clamp, or the Z axis Nut assembly. Or even your current bit is not locked tight enough in the chuck- slipping it's grip on the cutter. Tables which are not perfectly flat, should still yield a perfectly flat pocket, when cut as described above (in relation to the Z axis of your machine). I.E. if the table is not level in relation to the Z axis, then the imperfections (or degrees off from level) will be visible on the BOTTOM of the work piece. The TOP of the work piece should turn out as "perfectly level" with the Z axis. In other words, the work piece will be thicker on the down-hill side, and thinner nearest the up-hill side of the work piece.