Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:22:49 AM

Author Topic: Another Emco Lathe Project  (Read 9359 times)

Another Emco Lathe Project
« on: January 01, 2014, 05:58:06 PM »
Hello folks, In another post, I had rebuilt an Emco 120p lathe. The lathe works great, especially after getting the tool turret working :) But, I found that when doing a bunch of parts, the chip bin filled rather quickly.
It's kinda small on the 120p. I would have to empty it out after a couple pieces were machined. Another drawback was the maximum length of stock I can put into the chuck...which was about nine inches long.

That is all going to change, as I was able to acquire one of these.... An Emco 220

It has a large chip bin and a through the spindle capability :)

I have dismantled the lathe, changed a couple small bearings on the ends of the ball screws. Replace the lubrication manifold, readjusted the ways, cleaned and painted the sheet metal.

I'm only using two proximity switches, as that system worked well on the 120p. Here you can see the brackets I fabbed up for the switches.

As for the electronics stuff, I using the PMDX 126 bob and the PMDX 107 speed control. The spindle will be powered by a 2 hp AC motor with a Hitachi WJ200 VFD. The steppers are 640 oz-in  units for Keling and the drives are Keling's Digital  KL-8070D drives.

Here is the lathe almost assembled and painted....

I'm hoping to finish the wiring in the next day or two. I'm really hoping to be able to make some chips by the weekend  ;D

more to come....

pete

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Another Emco Lathe Project
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 06:56:54 PM »
Looking good :)
Think you will love it, although I have never seen one they seem to be nice wee lathes.

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 07:30:10 AM »
Looks like new....maybe even better. Hope she works well for you.

RICH
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 07:50:14 AM »
Hello folks, It's been awhile  First of all, I'm tired of the cold !!!!!! Temps have been in the teens for the past two weeks. I can take it, but, my shop is unheated and I can't machine anything since my coolant is frozen. I have aquarium heaters in the tanks, but, they can't keep up :(

Fortunately, we're headed for a heat wave, temps in the high 30's and mid forty's. Maybe i'll be able to thaw out the coolant and make some chips this weekend :)

Anyway, I made a quick video of the lathe. It's not the best quality, but, it gives you an idea of the end result....enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edKDb8DfqTc

pete

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 09:07:54 AM »
What an absolutely wonderful lathe you have there. Love everything about it, and please, please, please, can you do a video of it running parts for us?

Something like that is a dream for me at this point......

Thanks so much for taking the time to share it, it's just awesome-
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 11:57:20 AM »
They are indeed nice wee lathes, almost got  one similar a while back, kind of wish I did but the workshop is just too full now.

Looking forward to seeing it running some parts.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »
Nice lathe, Pete. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 06:32:19 PM »
What an absolutely wonderful lathe you have there. Love everything about it, and please, please, please, can you do a video of it running parts for us?

Something like that is a dream for me at this point......

Thanks so much for taking the time to share it, it's just awesome-
Dave

Here's a video of the Emco at work. I was using the last of some stock that was pre-cut for my Emco 120 (which doesn't have the thru bore capability as the 220)...that's why I ran out in the end :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTtSbpjyy2g&feature=youtu.be

pete

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 08:24:48 PM »
Looks to be working great :) Like the part catcher as well, do you have that macro operated?

Sounds like your drills may be slightly off centre though as they seem to be rubbing.

Hood
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 06:29:08 AM »
Thanks Hood, I knew about the drill being off a bit. I just have to learn a better way of centering drills on tool turrets :)

As for the parts catcher, I just have a simple macro to turn on and off the output. I have the macro inserted(in the G code) about .050", before the cut finishes, to open the tray and then insert the macro after the cut is made, to close it.

pete