Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:39:43 PM

Author Topic: Pyrography Stamp With BobCad V-Carve Feature  (Read 5275 times)

Pyrography Stamp With BobCad V-Carve Feature
« on: October 23, 2013, 08:21:23 AM »
I've just finished a pyrography stamp, I decided to do this one in stainless, possibly because I love a good steep learning curve  :-\
The text is 11mm high and 40mm wide -

In this instance for the cost of return P&P I'll mill off the date, giving the couple a pyrography stamp they can use to mark a wide range of things. 

For hobby or low volume stuff an easier to machine material such as brass will be entirely suitable but I've had enquiries from furniture manufacturers and wanted to cover all the bases with the first job.

Things I've learned -
1. Use the option to rough out with a milling cutter, this will save huge amounts of time! It'll save engraving cutters too! :'(
2. Make your stock big enough to allow the entire periphery of the job to be roughed with a milling cutter.
3. For fine detail work post the job twice, the second time with a smaller roughing milling cutter so that after roughing with a suitable milling cutter you can repeat the process with a smaller one and leave less work still for your engraving cutters.
4. Build or buy yourself a cutter grinder for sharpening your engraving cutters, you'll save yourself a mint in the long run  ;D

ATB,
Nick
Re: Pyrography Stamp With BobCad V-Carve Feature
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:23:08 PM »
What was your depth of cut on the Rough pass, and the Finish pass? Also, what was the Feed rates of each? Judging from the impression made from the stamp, it appears to have turned out Excellent! Great work!
Re: Pyrography Stamp With BobCad V-Carve Feature
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 12:41:51 PM »
The engraving cutters I'm using aren't robust enough for roughing passes in 316 Stainless, I'm investigating inserted tooling for roughing but until then I'm stuck with a maximum of .5mm depth of cut at 28 000rpm and with really, really, really slow feed. Finishing was with two passes at +.1mm depth, each using cutters with smaller tip size to get into the fine detail.
I discovered too late for this job that keeping the work clear with compressed air significantly prolongs the life of the engraving cutters, I've now built a dedicated air supply using a large fridge compressor with the receiver and control gear from a portable compressor that burned out last year (I knew that would come in handy ;-) )