Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 01:37:59 PM

Author Topic: Where do I start Bridgeport Interact Series 1  (Read 69552 times)

Where do I start Bridgeport Interact Series 1
« on: October 15, 2013, 04:26:34 AM »
 I've just got my hands on a Bridgeport interact series 1. Currently it has a heidenhien TNC 150 controller. I'd like to upgrade the machine to mach3, but not sure where to start, or what it's likely to cost. If I did convert the machine to mach3, would I sill be able to use the jog wheel and joystick as a manual machine for quick jobs?

Has anyone here converted a series 1 interact? any help or pointers would be great,

Thanks

Jim

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I start Bridgeport Interact Series 1
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 07:46:08 AM »
Hey Jim,

On average, it takes 4 times longer, and 4 time more than you thought to do the machine, unless you're really experienced and doing this kind of stuff.

Yes, you can operate your machine via, Jog stick and MPG, it is a matter of bringing those signals in and doing something with them via: Brains, or MacroPump,
or a plugin.

First thing to do is see what is re-usable:

Check the Axis motors see what drives them, then find out if the drive that drives them is stand-a-lone drives, that will take a Step and Dir signal or Analog.
if step and dir, Mach3 and/or some external motion boards can drive them. If analog, then you gonna drop some cash on a Galil or the like.

Spindle Motor: if it is just an industrial motor (even if 3 phaze), you can use it, if your machine will be running off of 220v single phase, then you will need a VFD.

Where you get into MAJOR cash, is if you have to replace Axis motors and/or drives, or spindle motor/drives etc. Depending on the motor power you need (In/Ilbs, N/M etc.)

If you Have some pockets, AND you plan to make money with the machine, you will recoup your expense and be MUCH, MUCH more pleased if you just upgrade
your Axis motors to:  AC Servo Drives/Motors (I use Automation Direct for 1kw-3kw, and Yaskawa beyond that).  If your spindle motor is an industrial, it is defiantly worth your time to put a VFD to drive it, since it give you VERY precise output to the motor, (and you can set up things for like ATC's much easier with them also).

There are several companies that cater to the Mach3 crowd for retrofits/builds, these are just a few: CNC4PC, Homann Designs, PMDX.....etc.)
I use Automation Direct for almost ALL of my industrial supplies, since it is the "Walmart" version of industrial supplies for pricing.

Scott

fun times

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »
If the axis and spindle amps/drives still work then I would say you would be best going with one of the external controllers that can control analogue amplifiers(drives) as that is what will be on if it is a Heidenhain control.
The Jog wheel that is currently on it may not be suitable, it will all depend on what the output is, often the Heidenhain used 1vpp rather than ttl. The encoder may possibly be that as well but I think on the 150's they will be ttl. You can however get a new MPG (Jog wheel) if it is 1vpp. same with encoders.

I have used the CSMIO/IP-A controller from http://www.cs-lab.eu/en/ and it is an excellent controller, the other two controllers (excepting the Galil Scott mentioned) are the DSPMC/IP from http://vitalsystem.com/portal/motion/motion_controllers.php or the kFlop with kAnalog from http://dynomotion.com/.

Hood
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:18:06 PM by Hood »
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 05:42:08 PM »
Thanks for your replies guys.

The machine works fine at the moment, but there appears to be a problem with the serial port as I can't get it talking to my pc at all. I can enter a program directly and it works fine, so I can only assume the amps and drives work 100%.

I'm glad you've responded Hood, as a friend of a friend pointed me to this site, and said that you new an awful lot about converting these old bridgeports. Apart from CSMIO/IP-A, and the PC etc, what else would I require?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 05:55:22 PM »
LOL I have only done one Bridgeport and it was an old BOSS stepper one that I totally gutted and fitted new steppers to. I then redid it all a while back but fitted servos, then I took them all off and sold the Bridgeport to make way for the Chiron :)

Regarding what extras you would need then I would say the CSMIO/IP-A and the MPG module would likely be all that is required as far as hardware is concerned. It will basically be remove the heidenhain and connect up to the CSMIO. Obviously it wont be as easy as that as you will have to work out what wires are what but if you have electrical drawings that should help a lot.
You will also need to find out what encoders are on the motors and what type of handwheel it has at the moment, if they are ttl ones then thats fine, if not you would need new. If you have a parts manual it may say, if not you can likely download the Heidenhain manual which should tell you what the encoder input to it is.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 02:43:24 AM »
Thanks Hood, I'll take a read through the manual and come back with stupid questions.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 06:24:55 AM »
Do you know what version TNC 150 it is?
 Just looked and it seems some are sinusoidal inputs and others square wave.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 05:45:12 AM »
its a TNC 150B, does that help at all? how can I find out??

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 09:28:23 AM »
According to the Heidenhain manual the 150B is sinusoidal, the 150BR is square wave. So not so good for you if it is indeed just the B :(
http://content.heidenhain.de/doku/oma_controls/CD1/tnc/150/gb/22365623.pdf

Hood
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 12:25:37 PM »
Hi hood, I'm still looking into all my options
Would I be correct in assuming that my servo drives are controlled by +/- 10V signal?
 Also would you know if motor encoders are incremental encoders with ttl 5V differential signal or if the servo drive has an encoder signal output with mentioned parameters?

Thanks

Jim