Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:13:12 PM

Author Topic: one pop then another, no Gecko light  (Read 10656 times)

one pop then another, no Gecko light
« on: September 05, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »
Hi guys, snazzy website now...
Not exactly Mach 3 related, as I have had many years of trouble free use, but you guys have helped me before, so here goes:
Jogging along the x axis, unusually some stuttering, then a 'POP' from the region of the electronics, and no x axis movement.
So i have a look. No light on one Gecko 201. Ah, must be the Gecko? Put a spare Gecko on the connections, still no light. Check the spare Gecko on the same connections as the lit Gecko on Y axis. Lights up. Must be the connections therefore to the x axis Gecko. Put the X Axis connections on the Y axis Gecko  'POP' and no light on the Y axis Gecko either now, although I don't suspect the Gecko's, as they worked on different connections after the POP.
Is this enough info for you guys to tell me what I need at least two new ones of? :-\
James E

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
Re: one pop then another, no Gecko light
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 06:51:55 PM »
I'd guess the x-axis stepper wiring or stepper motor itself has a problem.

If the motor output from the Gecko goes open circuit while powered up, then chances are the drive will go pop. I'm not sure if a short ciruit would do the same, or if the current limiting would cut in before any problems occur.

It could be that when you've tried the spare gecko, the wiring/stepper fault has been present causing the drive to stay in fault, then when you've swapped the Y-axis drive across, the wiring/stepper has gone from good to bad and it's gone pop.
I'd check over the stepper wiring very carefully for any obvious faults, and if no obvious faults can be found, replace the wiring and possibly the stepper motor (consider how the cost of a new stepper stacks up against the cost of another trashed 201...)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 04:56:51 AM »
Thanks for reply
I am not sure I understand, the gecko on the 'pop' x axis still worked (or at least lit up) when put on the non faulty y axis wiring, it was putting the presumably faulty x axis wiring on the y axis gecko that caused the second pop.
However, it has got to be right that  should check all the wiring, and I will, although looking at one of my x axis rails, clogged with sawdust, could the machine stalling the motor cause this?
Is one way to go get some readings off the wiring into the Gecko that still works and compare with the other two sets of connections that now don't?
jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 06:56:57 AM »
A long time ago when I got some G202's(?) I had a similar issue, a loud pop or whatever, turned out it was the blue plug that was the problem, I know of someone else who also got that problem. I thought with the noise that the drive had to be dead but it wasnt and I think it must have just been the big cap discharging/shorting.
Maybe not related to your problem but .... well you never know.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 07:14:58 AM »
Yes, I have had a problem with the blue caps before, which is why I have a spare drive now. Thanks for the suggestion, I will investigate that.
Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 07:23:42 AM »
I have to say I could not find a problem with the connector at all and neither could the other guy but it would happen every so often but after replacing with a different plug it never happened again.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 08:05:36 AM »
Noted
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »

Well, I have refreshed the connections, but i have found that, whereas I can get continuity from the capacitor to the z axis power in on the Gecko, I can't get it to the x or y axis Gecko, even though it appears to be just a straight cable. I am reluctant to just change the cable in case it is a symptom of the problem, not the cause.
Any ideas?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 01:42:20 PM »
Probably best to ask advice from Gecko, they will know what to check :)
Hood
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 03:02:41 PM »
Well, they have offered to check the Gecko, although they have instructions for testing on the website under FAQ's
 I have now dissasembled the machine, and found three fuses in the power supply to the geckos. whoopee. 10 amp.
So, would a tight machine stalling a motor cause this fuse to pop?
jim