Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 05:48:41 AM

Author Topic: GI Joe size & Kenner size Real Ghostbusters Accessories  (Read 22293 times)

GI Joe size & Kenner size Real Ghostbusters Accessories
« on: September 02, 2013, 04:24:20 AM »
Hi all, I am new to the world of CNC routing, and I am looking for anyone that can help me with providing me with the G-codes for making properly sized acurate Ghostbusters equipment from the kids animated series "the Real Ghostbusters"

I am looking to make molds of the equipment so I can make multiple copies of the equipment for each of the figures.
I am making custom figures of the real Ghostbusters out of GI Joe size figures as ell as supplying my Kenner figures with the accurate versions of the gear they used.

Im looking for G-codes for milling molds of Proton Pack, Proton Gun, Ghost Trap, PKE meter...
Ill be molding these items out of plastic resin.

Can anyone help me?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: GI Joe size & Kenner size Real Ghostbusters Accessories
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:57:37 AM »
Can you get the actual Sketchup models you posted from whoever made them?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 07:15:57 AM »
No I cannot, I have tried to contact the guy who done the sketchup images, but I havent been able to reach him.

I am sure that if I heard from him, I wouldnt be here asking for help getting G-code for making these items.

If it helps, the height of a Kenner figure is 4.5 inches tall, and a GI Joe is 3.75 inches tall.
The proton pack needs to be 1 inch to cover from the GI joes shoulders and down to just below the belt line.

On the kenner figure, the same should be considered within 1 and 1/4 inch length of the pack.

the thickness should be 1/2 inch on either figure size.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 07:22:18 AM »
You're going to have to model them yourself, if you can't get them from someone else.
Gerry

2010 Screenset

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
Wow, I dont know how to do g-code, and thats why Im here asking for help...and you telling me to do the whole thing myself... Gee thanks for being so helpful to me...NOT!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:49:34 AM »
By the way, didnt you happen to notice the part where I said Im new to all of this? I wasnt refering to being on the forum...I was talking about doing cnc work with Gcode

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 08:19:22 AM »
Helping and having someone do the whole project for you are two different things.

As a guess, the chances of someone on this forum having g-code to make the parts you want is about .001%

In order to get the g-code, you need to start with the 3D models. Since you don't have them, someone would need to create them. I seriously doubt anyone here would have them.

If you're not supplying the 3D models, and they're not freely available, then what your asking for is not trivial.
Finding g-codes for molds of anything would be very rare. Anyone creating 3D models of molds would probably be unlikely to share them, as they would involve a lot of time and effort. And what your asking for are very specialized items, making them even more rare.

When you want to do stuff that nobody else is doing, it's going to take a lot of effort on your part.
I would highly recommend learning g-code, as it makes troubleshooting and fine tuning your machine much easier.
But for what you want to do, you don't really need to know g-code at all. You need to learn how to use a 3D CAD and modelling program, and an appropriate CAM program to create the g-code form the models you create.

Have you checked the Sketchup 3D warehouse? (I think that's what it's called).
If not, try googling for 3D models of the parts you want.
As it's highly unlikely that you'll find models of actual molds, the easiest method might be to cast a mold off the actual machined part. Creating a mold from a 3D model takes specific skills that a lot of people just don't have.

Gerry

2010 Screenset

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »
I am very interested in this topic as i would like to produce toy molds as well.  More along the Transformers lines.

Can I ask where you found the sketch ups you posted.

Let me know thanks

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »
GUYS just remember you are treading in the CopyWrite laws area. I would NOT like to see a CORP bop you on the head and take ALL YOUR RETIRMENT FUNDS over a silly toy model. BUT some of them HAVE been know to do it.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 10:59:30 PM »
I am very interested in this topic as i would like to produce toy molds as well.  More along the Transformers lines.

Can I ask where you found the sketch ups you posted.

Let me know thanks
Thanks for the interest Dpark3, I like your reasons for doint this as well, Transformers are some of my favorite toys as well, Ild love to create a custom transformer sometime. Though that takes come interesting configuation to get all the vehicle parts to mesh together in he transformation from robot to vehicle.

That is why I am trying to start with some simple like making accessories for GI joe size 3.75inch figures or the Kenner Real Ghostbusters 4 inch figures.

As for BR549's comment, copywrite territory ONLY applies to the molding and reselling of the merchandise. To put it into lamens terms, IF I was going to make correct molds to make the ghostbusters equipment just the way I wanted, and I marketed them for sale in a retail type store, then yes, it would be a violation of copywrite law.
However, if I contacted the copywrite holders, and requested permission to reproduce accurate equipment accessories for their 1986 toyline of The real Ghostbusters, and they gave me a quote for a price to do so, then I could do just that.

However, in the world we live in, there is a little thing called limitation of copywrite...that means that while the company of Kenner may hold the copywrite to the ghostbusters toyline, Kenner is no longer in buisness as they were bought out by Hasbro (i think)
That fact tells me that the reproduction of accessories for toys that have not been reproduced since the cartoon The Real Ghostbusters has aired on television in 1986-1992 are fair game to be reproduced by fans of the ghostbusting series.
Besides, your babbling about copywrite laws and who ones them is essentially useless to me when my uses for the items I make is for private use only, and perhaps only to be shared with the GBFANS.COM forum as they are all fans who offer up ways to make the accessories to their toys more accurate as well.

In time, I may plan on molding parts for a full size verion of the RGB proton pack that fans and members of GBFANS.COM may buy for their fan based appreciation.

To put into terms seen in the FBI warning on all VHS and DVD videos, the unathorized repoduction of the video for RETAIL purposes is a violation of copyright laws...

So again, my reproduction of the parts or the whole part of the posted accessories of teh Proton Pack, Pke Meter, Ghost trap and etc. is purely for my private use...NOT FOR RETAIL USE...

I will NEVER market and sell my creations at the local Walmart or Target stores.
This is for my personal and private satisfaction.

Also, my other thread on this forum is looking for making the Ecto-1 car that is sized for GI joe figures.