Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Calendar Links Login Register
+  Machsupport Forum
|-+  Tangent Corner
| |-+  Bargain Basement
| | |-+  Machining Cameras
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Machining Cameras  (Read 32127 times)
lemo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 09:23:22 AM »

I just wrecked mine completely 8(((((.
I bought a relay card for my www.CandCNC.com breakout board which works flawless. I wanted to control my spindle (On/Off).
The break out board has a charge pump so it is only enabled when Mach3 is controlling it. Works great!

I wanted to set zero with the camera as I did before many times and was done finding the right spot when I closed the camera window without disabling the camera first. Fine.... NOT! the system froze as the stupid camera Mach3 combo might not like it when you close the camera window without hitting the disable button (why not calling that function when the window is closed is beyond me...). So I had to reboot the PC at that point. Just when the PC shut down, the spindle started unexpectedly for about 3 seconds and then shut down as magically as it was started during shutdown. The result was a damaged USB port in my PC, a ripped out and nicely wrapped USB cable on the camera shaft, and a camera separated from the shaft in the collet now dangling sadly from the Z-Axis like an eye after a terrible accident. Gotta love hobby hardware... sighhhh... Maybe I can afford a new camera for Christmas. Right now, I can't buy a new one 8(. So the best thing is to completely disconnect any power from the spindle motor by all means to prevent the loss of this great toy due to faulty amateur hardware.
Cheers
Lemo

Cut five times and still to short...
zarzul

Wyoming, USA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 09:29:29 AM »

oops,     Shocked   I hate it when these things happen. 

I suppose you probably don't want to share any pictures of that.   
 Maybe the shaft can be salvaged. 
I will look up where I order the cameras from and send that to you if you need. 

Arnie
zarzul

Wyoming, USA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 09:58:24 AM »

Lemo,

It just came to me that it is good that you shared this story.  All users should reposition their computers if possible so that the usb port is lined up properly to avert this, if the spindle starts and wraps the cord align the computer so it just pulls the plug out of the usb socket cleanly.

Arnie
lemo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 10:17:43 AM »

Shaft is alright, but the camera is off the socket. I'll take pics. No problem. I might be able to super glue it. I have to think about a way to align it nicely in case it still works. I had no nerve to look at that thing again yet... grrrrrrrrrrr Wink. I might use a v cutter and drill a tiny hole into something, then set the camera into the collet and align it with that tiny hole, glue and hope it works again.... A magnetic connector for the cable would be great. But then... one might try to drill holes with the camera attached Wink.
Cheers
Lemo

Cut five times and still to short...
penmaker1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2007, 06:40:06 AM »

Good morning,

I would like to purchase a camera and mount, what is the current price and availability?

If they are available I would like a 3/8" shaft diameter.

This is really a neat idea, thanks for makiing up the mounts.

John Guenther
'Ye Olde Pen Maker'
Sterling, Virginia
zarzul

Wyoming, USA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 08:13:10 AM »

John,

I got the cameras today,  will get your made up and email you with the details.

Arnie
penmaker1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 08:53:48 PM »

Arnie,

Thanks, I look forward to getting the camera.

John Guenther
'Ye Olde Pen Maker'
Sterling, Virginia
penmaker1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2007, 08:17:46 PM »

I got my camera today from Arnie, this this is really nicely done.  Arnie does beautiful work.

I just installed the software that came with it, and then started up Mach3, 2.56 and all is well.

I have more work to do on getting everything centered and properly adjusted but the camera works very well, Now to learn how to use it to my best advantage on my CNC 7x14 mini lathe.

Thanks Arnie and all who have worked on the video window software.

John Guenther
'Ye Olde Pen Maker'
Sterling, Virginia
DavidCousins

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 12:59:33 PM »

Arnie,
This thread obviously needs a bump.  Smiley
Can you tell me more about your product?   Sort of a "optical centering - for dummies"  approach to your product?

Is the software driver written by you? 
Do you mount the camera right on your spindle? 
Or can I mount the camera on my Z gantry permanently?
Do you have a video? 
zarzul

Wyoming, USA

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 07:16:29 PM »

David,

Thanks for the bump. 

No the driver is the camera manufacturer's product.    It does mount directly in the spindle, but some folks have been experimenting with mounting them permanently to the side of the spindle  then applying an offset to zero their tool.    If I had a bigger table I would do it that way, but I am using mine on a mini-mill and by the time I get it off to the side I am about out of table.  I am building a large router bed 5' x 4.5' and I will certainly mount one on it. 

These have been very successful and all of my customers have reported good results with them. 

Well, almost all, there is one unfortunate one that accidently turned on his spindle when it was chucked up.

I have written an article on how to make these yourself, it will be featured in the next issue of Digital Machinist Magazine,  it is supposed to be in the Winter Issue but I am
not sure when that comes out.  The article details how to build, align and use these.  I know it is kinda of self defeating to teach people how to make something I am making and selling but I am not doing it just for profit.

I the older I get the harder it is for me to see to the precision I would like to machine to.  This camera is helping me and quite a few others with that.

Thanks Arnie

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up
Print
Jump to: