Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:52:10 AM

Author Topic: Engraving with gcode text from stickfont.2.12 bugs?  (Read 11090 times)

Engraving with gcode text from stickfont.2.12 bugs?
« on: July 06, 2013, 05:59:17 AM »
I need the editing a sizing, spacing, fonts and formatting mill wizard does not have.
Found stick font 2.12 which has the flexability can covert fonts to chr format that mill wizard also uses (requires mod in text to display letters in right order in mill wizard)
It generates a gcode which I can add in millwizard looks fine I also add a rectangle around to cut out sign. All looks fine in mill wizard.

Says gcode created. but when I load into mach3 the rectangle is gone and if I try to run code the gcode moves but the DRO oscilates between  0    .0025 mm nothing happens. Is this a bug or am I missing something.?

Thank graemecns
Re: Engraving with gcode text from stickfont.2.12 bugs?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:22:52 PM »
I do not quite understand what you are doing. Are you trying to take code created by StickFonts and insert it into the wizard code?

I cannot control any gcode entered in the user code box, so there may be an error in that code which cause mach to stop processing it and looses the rectangle. Maybe you cold run the stickFont program first, then run the wizard to do the rectangle around it.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »
I have reinstalled Mach3 and will now run my other gcode ok. (I had installed a USB controller which must have affected Mach3)
You are correct I was generating Engraving gcode in Stickfont  then pasting it into newfangled Mill.
It is displaying ok in NF Mill with a rectangle I added around it but when it goes into mach3 it is generating 2 moves, big circle travels  before it goes to cut the rectangle.
I have put aside at present and am just using Mill engrave.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »
The big circle travels is an indication you have the IJ mode set differently  in StickFont and Mach. The wizards are based on IJ in Relative mode, not absolute.
You select the IJ mode in the Config->General page.

either mode is correct, but the mode used must be the same in the code generation and the running.  I do not know how to change the mode for StickFont.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 10:28:49 PM »
Hi

Ok stick font has option of absolute coordinate output G90 which was ticked
or incremental co ordinate output G91 which I believe will  the one I have to tick
I will try tonight

Thanks Graemecns
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 10:37:01 PM »
No, there are 2 similar values- G90/91 refer to the coordinates of X and Y moves. The big circles are caused by the I,J coordinates of the G2,G3 commands.

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 11:43:30 PM »
I can't see an I J setting or adjustment in stick font.
If I change IJ to absolute in the config General  in Mill wizard should it work ok with the imported Stickfont gcode ?
Or will that have to be changed in Mach3 also.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 07:33:09 AM »
The Mill Wizard does not offer a choice for IJ mode- it is always relative (also called incremental) IJ. I am not surprised that stickFont would not offer a setting, not all software does.

Mach will do either mode, the choice can be set in the Config->General page. The mode can also be set by using G90.1 or G91.1

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
HIya Ron , IF the WIZ is to use INC ij's should it not add the start up / safety code to make SURE it is set correctly for the Gcode created ?

Just a thought, (;-)TP
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 09:22:02 PM »
Another thing that has come up I drew up 9 holes 1.6mm in a 12mm square then ran a 3mm dia cut around the outside of each looks fine in Mill wizard (small washers)
But won't display in mach3 checked clearances in tool path but when i run it starts to cut a 9mm diameter not 3mm circle (on my old computer)

I just loaded on the work computer win 7 and gcode displays in mach3?