Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:21:48 PM

Author Topic: Squares Are Not Square  (Read 3569 times)

Squares Are Not Square
« on: July 02, 2013, 04:15:39 AM »
Hi,
I have an interesting problem with my CNC router.  I create drawings in AutoCAD, generate the CAM files with SheetCam, and drive the machine with a SmoothStepper.
I noticed that the inner corners of some square shapes I was contouring were more rounded than the radius of the cutting tool.  When I slowed the Y axis right down on Mach 3, the squares were no longer squares. 

After slowing the Y axis down, the router cuts in the Y direction, and while the gantry decelerates before it gets to the corner the X axis starts moving.  So I get a parallelogram rather than a square.

I would expect that when cutting a square that the routing on one axis should complete before the other axis starts to move.  Very peculiar.

Help/advice appreciated.

David

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Squares Are Not Square
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 01:27:39 AM »
Hi David,

Try increasing your Acceleration settings in motor tuning - this should do the trick.  ;)

As an alternative you could always select the 'Exact Stop' Motion Mode (Config/ General Config).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:44:08 AM »
Hi,

Exact Stop worked.  I hadn't taken note of this setting before.  The problem had never showed-up on any previous jobs.

thanks

David
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 02:36:21 PM »
Thanks Tweakie. Had exactly the same issue and your fix did it for me also :)

Cheers

Bob