Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 11:38:53 AM

Author Topic: Pyrography.  (Read 44484 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Pyrography.
« on: June 07, 2013, 05:11:43 AM »
For those wishing to CNC reproduce photographic type images on wood (without the use of a laser) you may find this interesting. http://hobbycncart.com/forum/46-234-1

You may need to use Google Translate but the thread has links to a couple of Russian videos showing just how simply it can be done.

To enable this method, Zoli (one of the forum members) has written a beta program ‘G-ray’ which produces Mach3 compatible GCode which varies the axis feed-rate in accordance with the image pixel value and there is a download link for any that may be interested.

I think this should be regarded as a development project but for those who like to experiment it certainly has possibilities.

Tweakie.
PEACE
Re: Pyrography.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 06:55:11 AM »
Looks cool but could not figure out how to download the file from the site.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 07:32:25 AM »
Hi Craig,

I am not sure if I am allowed to do this but I have attached the file (it will get deleted if I am in the wrong).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 07:52:24 AM »
Thanks Tweak
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 07:05:09 AM »
Thought you were the Moderator (King) you could do anything, lol  ;)
Thanks again, interesting possibilities.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 08:18:20 AM »
Thanks Craig.  ;D ;D ;D

Zoli tells me that his software still needs a lot of improvement but I am certain he will get there.

He now has a nice CNC pyrography set-up and is making excellent progress with his work. This thread relates http://hobbycncart.com/forum/46-234-1 so it may be worth checking back there, from time to time (for future software updates), as more is learnt about the process.

I did convert a G-ray generated tool-path for use with my laser, mainly as a 'proof of concept'. The initial test results were not outstanding (lots more practice on my part required) but I think it shows the possibilities of using variable feed-rate. (I adjusted my laser power output a couple of times during the run which perhaps spoiled the result).

(For those looking for a scientific explanation - Newton described the ‘time-lag’ between action and re-action when formulating his third law of motion. This law does not actually apply to the laser beam itself but it does apply to the effect caused by the beam and I like to think of it as ‘latency’.
Wood, like all materials, has ‘latency’ so slowly creating a heat spot on the surface of a piece of wood produces a greater shade of burn than quickly creating exactly the same calorific value of heat spot – likewise, the speed at which a heat source is moved over the surface of a piece of wood will determine the shade of burn).

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:22:04 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 10:59:12 AM »
Very Neat Tweakie.  Do you have a link to the video?  I did go to their forum but didn't have time to translate.  Beta or not, shes still pretty!  ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
PEACE

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »
Tweakie, is he heating a tip and varying its output, and timing?  If so, is it a contact or non contact tip? 

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »
Hi Brett,

Yes, Zoli is using a heated wire in contact with the work surface similar to the attached picture.
The wire temperature is a constant, it is only the axis speed that is varied.

Tweakie.
PEACE