Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:14:09 AM

Author Topic: Simple M6 Manual Tool Change  (Read 55438 times)

Simple M6 Manual Tool Change
« on: April 28, 2013, 11:19:41 PM »
Hi ,

As i am pretty Green with all the CNC and the learning process is in progress I have been doing some simple drawings and GCode in cambam but I am a bit stuck on how to program in a tool change . At present I just want the machine to go to a XYZ cord which I will have to stop the spindle manually as I have not put in the auto control board as yet .

Then do a zero on the new tool and go back and continue the job , after re- zero on the tool.

I take it by changing the tool in CamBam this will automatically set the command for a M6 tool change in Mach3?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Simple M6 Manual Tool Change
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:57:21 AM »
Yes, your cam program should print the M6, T***, etc.etc.  What you will need to do is work on your M6 macros if you want it to go to a certain position, stop, touch off, etc.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 05:54:25 PM »
Hi Brett,

I have done and am learning  CamBam drawings but do find it easier to draw in profiler  anyway Ive put in different tools so I see in the gcode where each operation gives the M6 command .

I am not up with is, where to and how to write in the M6 tool change , do a Z reset and then resume ...

You put in M6 tool change into the search and it is just full of a hole lot about Auto tool changers .

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:39:27 AM by Chaoticone »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 08:24:41 PM »
I didn't realize there was a tutorial on tool change , but it still is leans heavily towards Auto tool changers but can see by changing some of the code it could be made to suit what I want , I downloaded the M6 Macros but there is nothing written to copy and paste except for this ,

This toolchanger macro is the example used in
the toolchanger video. It is not meant to be a fully working example
for your system, but rather one to be modified by the user.

Art

More than likely it is something I am doing ????

Thanks Brett , you posted while I was typing this , I will check your links out and try and get my head around it all

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »
Go to General Config and set your Tool Change (upper left) to "Stop Spindle, Wait for Cycle Start".
Then go to the Settings page, and enter the tool change location (right side).

If you have a Tx M6 in your code, Mach3 should go to the tool change position and stop. You should then be able to change and rezero the new tool, and when you press Cycle Start, Mach3 will resume cutting.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 10:40:35 PM »
Hi Gerry,

Thanks , I am a total novice in this field and trying to learn so please excuse me if I am asking dumb questions .

What if the tool change is asking for the same tool , how does it ignore that and keep cutting until a different tool is required .

As the " Tool Change Macro " Download does not appear to have any code I have had to print screen from the tutorial into paint and print the code which I am now manually typing into Note , and then try to modify to suit .

What I am trying to do is :

M6 Tool Change request ... Ignore if same tool ... Go to change position if tool New Tool is needed at safe height .... Then Do Manual Change and Re - Zero tool " .... enter new tool number  is stored either manually or changed to the tool requested number when cycle start is hit ...( If tool 0 is entered to ignore tool change) not really sure on that one .
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 04:10:30 AM »
Gerry ,

Put the settings in as you advised and ran a Cut program to see how it all works , the tools are all listed and it pulls up out of the job and waits for cycle start , displays the tool selected in the program. The only thing was it did not move to the specified tool change Coords entered into the Tool Change Position , I take it this is because the spindle is not being controlled by Mach3  .

Thanks for your help , I was hoping for the simple solution rather than having to read and study a F-18 manual to get the basics on how a plane flys .

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:10:26 AM »
I'll have to check the stock macros later today to see about moving to the tool change position. I thought they did, but I don't use them. You probably need to have SafeZ enabled, preferably set in Machine Coordinates.

AS for ignoring the TC if it's the same tool, that's bad g-code. If the tool isn't changing, there shouldn't be an M6 there. Either configure your CAM software to not output the M6 that isn't needed, or you'll need to modify the M6 macros to check the tool and ignore if it's the same as the current tool.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »
Thanks Gerry ,

I will look at the SafeZ settings today , and you would be right about the bad Gcode as that is a reflection of my skill level and putting the cuts in order to suit or deleting the M6 . As for reconfiguring Macros , I am not that savy with all the code lingo so I will be happy with just what can be easily set .

I have beeen wanting to get into CNC for some time and 6 weeks ago I decided to bite the bullet and build a Mill/ Router to learn on , and when I get to a better level of better competence with Mach3 and Cad then I will look at converting my bigger Mill .. Optium BF30 .  So to this point has been a pretty steep learning curve but I do have " phone a friend"  one being a CNC and  computer programmer but I try to work and find out as much as I can first 

I attached a pic of the Router , compared to what others have here its more of a toy .