Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:56:17 AM

Author Topic: multipass wizard  (Read 5799 times)

multipass wizard
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:09:59 AM »
Hi all, so i've been toying with Mach3 for around a week now.

I'm trying to design an exhaust flange, so far i've managed to get it designed in photoshop, converted it to a DXF file, imported it into mach3 and converted it then added Z axis values manually.

as i'll be cuting it from 6MM i thought it'd be best to go over it 3 times in 2MM increments, i can manually do this but it comes out at over 3000 lines so i thought i'd use the multipass.

The problem i've come across is when i've cut one part out and it has a different reference to go to it doesn't simulate the Z axis going to 0, instead it stay's at 2MM and would effectively attempt to cut a 2MM gap on travelling, is there a code that can get around this?

Also is there a way for Mach to compensate for the width of the mill? i've worked out this would either have to be manually inputted or in the original drawing somewhere as obviously Mach wouldn't be capable of working out what side of the working line is the right one?

Thanks ;D
Re: multipass wizard
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 04:01:38 AM »
I take it no-one knows the answer to any of these questions? :-\

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 11:21:48 AM »
First looks like you are runiing a VERY old version of mach3 if it has dxf import AND multipass. Vertially noone uses those older versions so you may not find ANY help for them.

Yes you can use multipass BUT the file HAS to have all the code to safely run a second pass such as at the end of the routine it MUST retract Z to a safe level.

Yes you can use tool radius offset Gcode in mach3, BUT you have to program with the  correct GCODEs for the functions and provide lead ins and leadouts to allow Mach room to comp the axis.

(;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:37:50 AM »
OK, thanks for the help, yes i may well have an older version, but at this stage i'm not looking into buying a brand new copy until i know i can get my little project doing what i want.

As stated i am very new to CNC and have grasped basic g-code programming, if i retract Z say -2MM it would retract it, but it would not be a safe level on the second pass, essentially it makes that particular part of the routine -2MM, so when the second pass comes instead of moving -4MM it is moving -2MM as instructed in G-code, if i can get this to work then i wouldn't have to manually program the multipass so it would work alot easier and i assume G-code to be generic amongst versions so can use it when i choose to update.

Is there a resource for G-code commands? so i could research retracting the Z axis to a safe level then have it return to it's preset level aswell as look into the lead ins and outs?

thanks, Jon

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »
You may want to give the MAch3 manual a try (;-)

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 12:53:30 PM »
OK, i checked out what information i could find and at the moment i'm at a total loss with confusingness

I've got the offset figured out, it makes little loops but i'm sure i just need to make some small adjustments as i read it's a mach3 issue?

I still haven't worked out how to get multipass figured so instead of annoying everyone i tried to work around it, i tried

Mirroring so i could get another object mirrored next to the original, saving me 3000 lines of code each time i did this, that failed. The best i could do was the x-y moved to the lcation then moved back to where the next command said.

Sub-routine, i figured if i could make this work i would call the sub-routine and specify various depths saving me around 2000 lines per item, but i'd have to manually change the x-y.

Any help would be appreciated, i've attached the g-code and i will admit i'm not a professional, but i would like it to go down in 3 step increments 2MM then be able to make it so it is capable of doing the same next to/underneath the programmed one ???

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 09:19:03 PM »
Did you read the mach manual, the mach2 manual should cover multipass.

(;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 08:21:12 AM »
but at this stage i'm not looking into buying a brand new copy until i know i can get my little project doing what i want.
FWIW,
I would suggest that you upgrade as you are not going to find much support for ancient versions of Mach.
I would also like to suggest that you don't use Photoshop and learn / start using a vertor based drawing program to create the dxf file.
There are free ones available.
You file contains line fragments to represent the flange and ends up generating a very large gcode file. For kicks, I redrew your flange and generated g code for the flange from LC and then modified that file using the Multipass Wizard for 5 depth passes and all worked well.

RICH

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 10:05:26 AM »
Yeah i got the new version a few day's ago, with regards to getting it drawn out to create simpler G-code, i think at the moment i just want it to work then i can go back to that, although i did suspect there would be an easier routine

Good news is i din't realise there was a wizard for saving multipasses into g-code until i read you'd modified the file, so that was all done.

I just need to look into the mirroring part, so far it's coming along half like what i expect, although i did get incredibly confused when thousands of lines appeared...then i realised pressing tool regen fixes it ::)
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
So just an update on this. I've been quite busy so not had much time to look at this

I've created a sub routine and saved it in the sub folder, this basically contains the multipass data which i've re-ordered so it cuts the same part one after another.

I then went to create a file to call the subroutine with axis set using g52, i've done this 3 times for testing and on screen it looks to work perfectly, 3 of the same objects lined up next to each other. But if i cycle start offline it will only cut the original offset 3 times despite displaying it in 3 different area's

G52 X0
m98 (3bolt.tap)
G52 x9.8
m98 (3bolt.tap)
G52 x19.6
m98 (3bolt.tap)
M30
M30

I'm sure it must be something pretty simple?