Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:17:27 AM

Author Topic: Wizard does not recognise License  (Read 9154 times)

Re: Wizard does not recognise License
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 12:44:32 AM »
Hi Ron

I recently upgraded Mill Wizard from 1.0.2 to 1.0.6, but my license file seems not to be recognised any longer - Mill Wizard now remains permanently in Demo mode. Opening the About window and clicking on "Loadlicense File" license file location opens but clicking on the license and open, I get a Reopen message "About dialog must be re-opened to check license...". Clicking on OK just takes me back to the About page and the above process repeats.............
Can you advise please

Thanks
Richard
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 09:18:55 AM »
Changing the version should not affect the license, unless you do an Uninstall first.

When the About box opens it tests to see if a valid license exists. If you click the 'Load License File' button it attempts to load a file, but that doesn't re-check the license. It is necessary to exit from the About box, then re-open it so the license check can be made. If it still says demo it means the license file was not valid.

The license is stored in the NfsMill.ini file which is in your application data folder. That is C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Wizards\Mill.  That file must be there, and not be set to read only. The installer tests to see if it exists, and does not replace it when you install.

Did you uninstall first?
Did you make some hardware change that might invalidate your license?
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 10:51:15 PM »
I have no idea what is going on..............initially I installed the new version directly on the previous working version. Nothing else changed at that point. When the licensing didn't work I thought an uninstall must have been necessary - which I did, but I seem to recall the license remained in place. The new install of course has not worked. I've since tried re installing the first version 1.0.2. The install runs only in demo mode and the license now no longer works that version either................!.
 Have since reinstalled version 1.0.6.
 Computer is running win7,  64bit.
 Can you confirm where the license file should be residing on this system.................I've since tried numerous locations, in case it's a windows file protection "funny" but no luck.
Apart from having Scott check the license issued against the computer ID again I don't quite know what to do.

Any thoughts?
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 08:21:29 AM »
Where you put the license file that was sent to you is unimportant. Put it anywhere you will not loose it. I keep a 'License' folder in MyDocuments where I put a copy of all my license files.

When you run the load license button on the about screen it will read the file it is pointed to and place the string it needs into the .ini file

If that doesn't work then all I can guess is the original license file has been corrupted, so having Scott verify wold be a good check.
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 06:51:01 PM »
Hi Ron

Problem solved - my fault. I should have known that if it's not a finger problem then the next on the list is the brain..............!

Like many, I have two identical computers here - one inside the house in the warm, that gets used as a general workhorse and design work machine etc, the other in the cold workshop. So I can confirm that trying to use the license on the wrong machine doesn't work and the copy protection scheme implemented for MW4 certainly does................!.

No excuses on my part, other than since Winter has arrived here, I haven't been out to the licensed machine. So sorry about any inconvenience caused. Talk about chasing shadows.

Thanks for your help

regs
Richard
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 11:05:23 PM »
Thanks for letting me know the solution. I like to see all of these problems solved.