Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:38:09 PM

Author Topic: continuous motion on a Zenbot  (Read 8106 times)

Offline CMC

•  10 10
    • View Profile
continuous motion on a Zenbot
« on: January 11, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »
First, I am a newbie at this.  I have written a small G-code program to drill a series of large diameter holes with a small bit.  The cutting is done in many short strokes rather than one continuous motion for each circle.  Many of the tutorials that I have watched show the router moving at a continuous and a constant lateral feed rate.  My Zenbot moves a distance, stops, then moves again.  Have I got something set wrong or is this inherent in Mach3 or the Zenbot?     Carl

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: continuous motion on a Zenbot
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 11:17:21 PM »
What does your Gcode look like?? Are you trying to DRILL holes or MILL holes??

(;-) TP

Offline CMC

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 09:41:41 PM »
I am milling.  But it doesn't seem to matter what I do, even with  GO or G1 codes, it moves to the spot in jerks, not a nice smooth motion.  It moves about 1/2 inch, then stops for a fraction of a second, then moves again about another 1/2 inch or so.  I've varied the speed of anywhere from 1 to 50 and experience the same sympton. Changed jog size, jog on and off, all to no avail.   It makes me believe it is inherent in either the program or Zenbot controller, but not sure.  It doesn't seem to effect results, just looks funny.   Carl

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 11:17:39 PM »
Are you in exact stop mode? Or constant velocity mode under general config? 

John

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 02:11:35 AM »
Carl,

Could be that you are using a laptop or other unsuitable computer ??

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline CMC

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 03:06:06 PM »
Thanks for your responses. 

John, I have it set in constant velocity mode.

Tweakie, I am using a desk top computer.  Everything seems to work correctly except for the motion action I've described.

I'd love to hear from other Zenbot users.  Do you have the same movement hesitation or is this unique to my machine?   Thanks,   Carl

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 04:28:36 PM »
IT could very well be the Gcode you are running. Please post a sample program you are running.  To optimise the cutting try using a look ahead of 200.

BUT be advised it effects the pause timing as well. Makes the dwell before stop longer

(;-) TP

Offline CMC

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:38:19 PM »
Real simple code:

%%TEST PROGRAM
G90
G20
G64
G1 X2 Y2 F5.0
M30

This one took about 20 steps to get there!  Usually the steps are longer, but for some reason they were very short in this small prog.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:40:29 PM by CMC »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 03:49:51 PM »
I think you have problems in the PC with something interupting the pulse stream. other programs running ??  virus scanner, quicktime, updates,internet ???

Have you ran a driver test on your PC ?

In the mach3 directory run drivertest.exe  it should should a smooth line with very little ripple and no large spikes on average.

(;-) TP

Offline CMC

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 06:49:46 PM »
Sorry for the delay in my response, but been out of town.  Ran the driver test just now.  Runs very slow.  First says "pulsing tto fast", then Mach3 takes over and it says "Pulsing too slow".  Line is not smooth with random vertical lines.  In the first part of the test when it says it is too fast, the vertical lines are close together and very short. Then when after Mach3 takes control and i get the 'to slow' statement, the vertical lines are only about 3 or 4 to a screen but much higher.    Any clue?