Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:45:28 PM

Author Topic: Removing tool changes in a multi op wizard?  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Removing tool changes in a multi op wizard?
« on: November 13, 2012, 05:15:37 PM »
   I just learned to chain ops together. At the moment I am using the same tool and tool number for each op but after each keyway or pocket it prompts for a cycle start after the tool change.

There is an ignore tool change feature within Mach but I wouldnt think i need to change my settings there. I have been wrong before, alot.

I cant believe how long it took for me to learn that chaining ops was possible. Beautiful performance if I would get over my fear of feedrate or doc commitment. .125 end mills dont seem to hog very well for me :-)
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
Re: Removing tool changes in a multi op wizard?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:01:15 PM »
Each operation screen will always start with a tool screen. It should open  with the same values you used for the last tool, so there should be no need to make any changes, just click Continue.

When the code is generated it tries to only put in a tool change gcode if there has been a change. There are some places where this doesnt always do as you expect it to.

There is a radio box on the config screen that lets you ignore tool change. I agree, this is not often a wise choice. The choice to stop and wait for a cycle start is usually the wise choice.

There may be extra stops for tool change that are not really necessary, but the opposite- not stopping when a tool change is really needed is usually very bad.

Yes, .125 mills dont hog well at all!

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »
Each operation screen will always start with a tool screen. It should open  with the same values you used for the last tool, so there should be no need to make any changes, just click Continue.

This is the case on the set up of the op but during the running of the file, each op stops and waits for the confirmation of tool change, pressing cycle start begins running the program again though the tool request is the same as the tool from the last op (therefore still in the spindle.

When the code is generated it tries to only put in a tool change gcode if there has been a change. There are some places where this doesnt always do as you expect it to.

I was using the slotting/keyway wizard in different widths and locations but using the same cutting tool. Is this one of the places?

There is a radio box on the config screen that lets you ignore tool change. I agree, this is not often a wise choice. The choice to stop and wait for a cycle start is usually the wise choice.

This is what I usually do because I do have my tool set up in my tool table. I am using the TTS system.

There may be extra stops for tool change that are not really necessary, but the opposite- not stopping when a tool change is really needed is usually very bad.

If the tool was to remain the same, could I remove the M6 T# of each op with no other changes, or if there were other changes that would need to be made. What would they be?

Yes, .125 mills dont hog well at all!

Anybody know what to do with small pieces of end mills :-)

Thanks again Ron and the new usefulness of a tool like this just makes it so much easier.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:53:34 PM »
If the tool was to remain the same, could I remove the M6 T# of each op with no other changes, or if there were other changes that would need to be made. What would they be?

Yes, just knock out the unneeded M6 T commands. There may also be an M3 (spindle on) after the tool change that could be removed, but it wouldn't hurt to leave it.

I do not recall exactly the condition when it includes a tool change or not.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:58:36 PM »
at the moment spindle isnt under Mach control so the M3 wouldnt have an effect anyway. Again thanks and it opens up the possibilities.