Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 01:59:20 PM

Author Topic: new to mach3 and K2  (Read 4900 times)

new to mach3 and K2
« on: July 28, 2010, 07:44:11 AM »
I just recently purchased a K2 5050 that is run by Mach3. The machine is 4-5 years old, but did not come with any manuals. I saw it cut, so I know everything seems to work properly. But I only spent 2hrs with the previous owner, and let me just say, there wasn't much training.

he advertised the machine as a 3 axis controller, 4 servo motors spindle router. I think was just a description from the K2 website.  The control box actually has a X, Y, Z, and A cables/plugs. Is this a 4 axis machine?  I have been trying to learn from any video and documents I could find online.  The "A" part of things seems to be confusing me. All tutorials and print help doesn't mention anything with A axis.

When I go through the program, in the Motor Outputs, and Input Signals tabs, the A has port and pin assignments, which is not mention in anything I watch or read.

I bought this machine for what I think is its simpliest function: cutting simple shapes and lettering out of flat, mostly 1/2" thick material.
I would really appreciate some help on the basics so I can start using this machine.  Also, when pressing the arrow keys on my keyboard this happens: UP - X bottom motor goes right, DOWN - X bottom motor goes left, RIGHT - Y moves up and X top motor moves right at the same time, LEFT - Y moves down and X top motor moves left.  These directions are when my laptop is right to the left of the machine, so I hope I'm getting the X and Y stuff right. pg up and pg dn does seem to work properly for Z.

thank you, Paul

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: new to mach3 and K2
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:01:45 AM »
It is likely the A axis is a motor that is slaved to X or Y for the gantry (if it is a gantry router? ) so only 3 axis machine as A will not be a true axis.

You can change the way the arrows work from the Config menu then System Hotkeys.
Convention is X left to right, Y from and away to you and Z up/Down.
X- is with tool going left in relation to work X+ going right
Y- is tool towards you Y+ tool away from you
Z- Tool down Z+ Tool up.

For some basics  use the wizards and mess around with them to see how things work, just keep the E-Stop handy ;)

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:35:56 AM »
Paul,
Have a look at the K2 site as they have all kinds of info ....manuals, quick quides etc, for their machines and Mach xml / specific info.

RICH
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 07:22:29 AM »
thanks Hood & Rich. I'll get it sooner or later. Or me and the cnc will be out of the house!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 03:55:51 PM »
Hi
I thought I would jump in on the HEIZ thread to ask a newbie question so here goes, Where in the configuration tables on M3 do you insert the size of your table? For instance, I have a S-1000 and one of my colleagues has a 400.  In PCNC you input your table size.  Can anyone advise please, also, which is the best M3 PP in Vectric programs, I have been using M3/2 arcs inch. is that the right one?
Thanks
Dave

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
There is no place to input your table size.
But you can use softlimits, and specify their location relative to the physical home switches.

If you program in inches, then yes, use the mach2/3 arcs inch post. If using V-Carve Pro or Aspire, you may want to use the ATC post, if you plan on changing tools.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html