Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 02:15:27 AM

Author Topic: Question for TechCNC  (Read 10981 times)

Re: Question for TechCNC
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 07:41:18 AM »
There was a little bug in index connection manual. OCZ output in Delta is not a 'Line Driver' but 'Open Collector'.
Index pulse must be widened only for IP-S. In most cases servo drives has separate settings for encoder output and electronic gearing, so we configure Delta to  10000 step pulses/rev and encoder output to 500 pulses/rev then we have precise index homing without losing resolution.
Currently IP-S need index signal to be active at least 1ms. Decreasing homing speed makes index wider, so if it's not possible to change encoder output pulse number then try decrease homing speed.
Move from homing switch is already much slower, so even for 10000 pulses/rev or something like that index homing should be possible with sensible speed.
However I'm planning to improve this function with a little help of FPGA chip :) Then the problem should practically disappear.

Note that all of above is only for IP-S.
IP-A has fast differential encoder inputs and there are no limitations or special requirements for index homing.

Andrew

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 08:17:38 AM »
Andrew, thanks for the clarification.
That seems good news at least with the IP-A if I am understanding correctly as it means it can handle a line driver Index input and no need to divide the encoder output, hope that is what you are meaning? If that is correct it means I can use the older drives I have sitting here, worst comes to the worst I have more modern drives I can use.

The only problem I see for me using an IP-S is the open collector requirement, is there a way I can convert a line driver output to open collector so that I can then input to the IP-S? I am interested in this because I am presently fitting the IP-S to a wee lathe and the drives do not have homing features in them like my other machines have.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »
Was just thinking about this, on the Bridgeport when I used the Scorpion controller I had to connect a MPG via a board to convert it to 24v as the inputs were all 24v. It worked well so that should allow me to use the Index pulse from my drives and feed them into the + of an input.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 04:22:23 AM »
Hood,

And how it's done in their example with the Delta drive? Seems they're feeding the 5V signal directly to the controller? Don't think the drive outputs 24V for the encoder signals.

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 04:34:00 AM »
Dan, from my understanding the drive in their example has an output for the Index which is open collector. This connects to the Negative  terminal of your chosen  Input on the CSMIO and you connect 24V+ to the +ve terminal for your chosen CSMIO  input.

Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 05:23:36 AM »
Ah... OK. Makes sense now. What was that board you used with the Scorpion?

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 08:25:20 AM »
It was  a driver board I had that Ed Gilbert (CNC Building Blocks) used to make, pdf attached.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »
Thanks.

Dan
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 06:43:35 AM »
Hood, yes, with IP-A you don't need to do anything. You just connect index differential pair from drive to controller and that's all.

With IP-S I agree that sometimes opencollector requirements can be a little bit problematic. If driver does not have opencollector output the simplest way is to use optocoupler.
However we're preparing some useful converters and they soon should appear in our web store.

Andrew

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 09:54:17 AM »
Good news all round :)
Hood