Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 09:17:25 AM

Author Topic: Chiron FZ12 on its way sometime soon(ish)  (Read 193116 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Chiron FZ12 on its way sometime soon(ish)
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
Yes they wre huge motors, the lathe was built to remove serious amounts of metal in a pass ;D
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »
Hood,

On the previous subject of the resolvers on the motors, what is your opinion on using one of these:

http://www.vegacnc.com/html/vega2795502.htm

It's not cheap, but cheaper than replacing the motors I reckon. There are other vendors too offering such converters cheaper, but some have lower line count or miss the hall signals. This one has 8192 ppr, but from what you've shown, I am afraid that even this may not be sufficient to get good performance.

Dan
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:51:52 PM by Dan13 »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »
Would it not be as cheap to get a suitable encoder with commutation?
I think I was quoted about $300 from Renco for an encoder, they however wanted about the same for post to the UK ::)

Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 04:47:18 AM »
I think you're right. Just wasn't willing to mess with the motors. But looks like it would be much cheaper and eliminate another electronic board in the chain, reducing chances to further troubles.

I too often find international postage prices being irrational. Sellers often work with a single freight company and aren't willing to check other options even when it's obvious that the price they are being quoted is way exaggerated.

However, I googled for commutation encoders and came up with a much cheaper one from US Digital with technical specs same as the Renco:

http://usdigital.com/products/encoders/incremental/rotary/kit/EC35

And it's priced almost half the Renco, at $161.

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 05:05:44 AM »
The encoder I got priced was a through shaft but with bearings so likely a lot more expensive than that type you linked to. Renco do that type as well as it is what they put on the MPL motors that have Incremental Encoders so may be worth a quote from them.
I have also found US Digital are rip offs for shipping to the UK, last time I got something from them I got someone in the USA to order it and then forward it to me, worked out a lot cheaper..

I looked again at the email from Renco and the shipping wasnt as expensive as I had said, it was just $150 for up to 10 encoders ;D
It did say however that they would use your shipper if you supplied your account details.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 05:07:22 AM »
Just looked again at the renco ones, small bore only unfortunately, maybe they have different models that have bigger bore, will have to look.
Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 01:20:37 PM »
Strange thing happened this week. I was looking at a potential mill purchase, and the seller showed me a chiron he'd sold, and said he was just waiting for some boneidol idiot to collect it  ;D

BTW, US digital have changed their international shipping to flat rates via UPS. You can see them at http://usdigital.com/company/ordering/shipping. Cost to UK varies from $46.68 to $61.51 depending on service, which is a lot cheaper than the last time I looked.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »
Sadly it seems like I got the FFFB's mill sold for him to someone who had asked about my BP and now the deal on mine has fallen through so I am left with mine ;D

Good to know about the US Digital postage :)

Hood
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 01:52:16 PM »

Strange thing happened this week. I was looking at a potential mill purchase, and the seller showed me a chiron he'd sold, and said he was just waiting for some boneidol idiot to collect it  ;D

Bad day when one can`t slag a SAFFCB without someone blabbing it all over the forum.

Also interesting how a done deal on a mill has now changed to "potential".Have the Welsh moved up to East Lothian?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 02:50:34 PM »
Looks like the FFFB is really a GOFFFB :)

Hood