Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:35:28 AM

Author Topic: New to cnc and software controls, need some help  (Read 4031 times)

New to cnc and software controls, need some help
« on: September 18, 2012, 07:40:05 PM »
 Hello to everyone and thanks for all the work you've done

Im totally new to cnc and the hardware and software but I have managed to get enough together to build my first rough draft machine and get modbus working with a arduino and mach 3 but have yet to connect my controllers up to the arduino due to having no clue what pins to use with Shillings modbus sketch I found posted on here.

can anyone help out with which pins I use for these connections?

Offline LGF

•  37 37
  • can't sit still
    • View Profile
Re: New to cnc and software controls, need some help
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 03:52:49 AM »
I have exactly the same issue. I have a DIY machine and therefore have no "manufacturers specs" of which pins to use. The other issue I also seem to share with you is that I have asked the question (on a support forum) but yeah well, you get lots of views but no support?

Getting discouraged  >:( >:(
When I die, will someone please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend my funeral. No need to do or say anything, just attend and stand a short distance away? PLEASE???

Offline 1Acnc

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 12:52:33 PM »
Found this on the CNC zone forum

two arduino modbus threads at the Machsupport forum

Maybe other place to look?

Offline LGF

•  37 37
  • can't sit still
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 03:48:58 PM »
Thanx been there too, that post is ref back to where we are now, Machsupport and the two threads they refer to there also don't have much....

But I have studied the PDF that the author of the Modbus pde file for the arduino and Mach typed, and it seems that (perhaps I am getting close to understanding it better) one has to have the register tables and reference sheets printed out and have them next to the laptop/PC when within a brain as it seems that specific kind of in-outputs and functions have specific addresses in Modbus and is seemingly also restricted to specific registers. So perhaps having these next to the PC it might be easier to write a brain that will be functional.

All I need to do now is to write a couple of small test brains and see if I can get some reaction from any of the features on my machine.
When I die, will someone please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend my funeral. No need to do or say anything, just attend and stand a short distance away? PLEASE???