Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:12:09 AM

Author Topic: Newfangled wizards for Mach4  (Read 20650 times)

Re: Newfangled wizards for Mach4
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 07:53:41 AM »
Beacuse the V4 wizard is being done in C++ I have access to all the normal windows controls- like list boxes, sliders, etc. The program steps show up in a list box, and a right click on an item brings up a popup with Edit, Delete, MoveUp, MoveDown. I also plan to have the ability to save a template file, which can be opened and then edit one or more operations to create new Gcode.

With Brians help we have developed a very good program structure. We can later make specialized wizards. like for Turn or Router fairly quickly.

That thread wizard has always driven me nuts. With all the combinations of left, right, inside, outside, climb, conventional its very hard to keep straight. I have not hear other reports of metric issues, but I will look at it and see if I can find anything.
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 09:03:10 PM »
Getting close to release now. The video demo is on youtube at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK4rbD6C17o

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D70-ViinAjY

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Newfangled wizards for Mach4
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 10:34:35 PM »
It looks great!
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »
Ron
   Mach4  be  able to be installed on computer as a stand alone program?
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »
Mach4 will be a standalone program, as will the wizards for mill. Mill wizards are running now even before Mach4 is ready to be released.

There may be more wizards in the future that run as part of Mach4, much like the current Newfangled wizards. Brian showed me a demo of the screen designer and scripting language this week. Its going to be a much more capable system than we had in V3, so I expect a lot of great wizards, but its going to be a while yet- I dont think Mach4 with the full screen designer capability will be out for at least a few more months.

Great things are happening, its hard to wait for them.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 07:31:01 PM »
Ron

I have Newfangled wizards for mach3 on my Tormach 1100.  Went I use the Newfangled wizards it says unlicensed wizard.  How do I get a Lic?

Carl B
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 08:57:06 PM »
At the top of this page, under the ArtSoft banner you should see a box labeled Purchase. Click tha tbox and down near the bottom of the page that opens will be a purchase button. The wizards are called 'Add ons' and cost $50

You will be sent a license file by email. Save that file then copy it to the folder in which the MAch3.exe file is stored. On standard tormach installs I think that is C:\PCNC

Once the license file is loaded the wizards will save the gcode.
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »
Ron, very much looking forward to the next version.

I have a request for you. The previous version had a few places where depth means depth of cut (drilling), and others where depth meant final Z level (surfacing). It would be VERY useful to label these differently and consistently. For example, in the video, it shows the hole circle panel. The drawing shows Zdepth in drawing form. The input box is labeled Depth and has a negative number. Is the negative number the final Z level? The depth of the drilling? Since it is a negative number, I assume it must be the final Z level?

In my opinion, Depth and Step should never be negative numbers. They should be scalar values. It is a measurement of distance. I am fine with Z levels, I just can't tell which is which and the diagram doesn't match the input boxes.

Thanks so much for your consideration!

Kevin
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »
 Zdepth always means the final Z level, based on the current Z zero. It is not a measure from Ztop of work to the bottom of the cut. We did have some debates about this, and it led Todd to re-draw my Z depth screen images in a way we thought was more clear.

I was just using the wizards to make a part for a steam engine model. I thought it would be nice to enter a rectangle length or width as the absolute coordinate of the feature rather than the current length. The real problem I have with things like this is making the GUI clear enough. I could make entries for both forms, but how would I display it in a way guys would understand?
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 05:35:05 PM »
Zdepth always means the final Z level, based on the current Z zero. It is not a measure from Ztop of work to the bottom of the cut. We did have some debates about this, and it led Todd to re-draw my Z depth screen images in a way we thought was more clear.

I was just using the wizards to make a part for a steam engine model. I thought it would be nice to enter a rectangle length or width as the absolute coordinate of the feature rather than the current length. The real problem I have with things like this is making the GUI clear enough. I could make entries for both forms, but how would I display it in a way guys would understand?

I am also a software guy. I get it. UI is a very subtle artform that many people under appreciate.

I think getting the terminology consistent in the dialogs will go a long way. I fully understand there are numerous ways which can make sense for the specification of the parameters. As long as the drawing is consistent with the form and that all of the forms are consistent, we can work with what makes sense to you.

Having said that, allow me to rationalize a potential change. You have a specification for Zzero in the diagram in the video (bolt circle). You also have a Ztop parameter both in the picture and on the dialog form. So far so good. The picture shows Zdepth, but the dialog shows Depth. Also, looking at the picture, Zdepth is referenced from Ztop, not Zzero, indicating to me that I was supposed to enter the depth of the cut. However, you are saying that Zdepth is always the final Z level, which in the drawing should be referenced from Zzero. This is where the confusing part is.

If I were king of the world, I would change the name Zdepth to Zbottom (which pairs with Ztop), and potentially remove Zzero from the drawing, since it shouldn't be used in the specification of any of the parameters. So the parameters become:

Ztop   (Top level of the cut)
Zbottom (Bottom level of the cut)
Zstep (Step of cut: Always >= 0)

I suppose a Zrapid height should also exist.

Hopefully that made some sort of sense.

Thanks for listening,
Kevin