Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:47:23 AM

Author Topic: Machine part, from part to g-code.  (Read 16310 times)

Re: Machine part, from part to g-code.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 07:25:17 AM »
Had a BFO (blinding flash of the obvious) when I woke this morning.  I gave you code for  making a cutout of the part rather than coding a female mold.  Like I said, I have never made molds.  Let me know if you can do anything with the dXF I sent you or if you want me to recode for a female mold. 

Bob@BobsShop - back to doing what I sort of understand  ;D
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 09:43:32 AM »
No, you were correct, I want the pattern of the part and not a mold. I'll make the patterns in wood and use the with Petrobond sand for casting. Hopefully I can gang about a dozen together on a matchplate.

I am a total newbie to this side of things, so most of what you explained made no sense to me at all. I'm sure I'll have several BFO's when I get to the shop to cut this. Thanks so much for the code, hopefully this will give me some insight on how to do this myself. A community is great for helping each other out, but I also want to learn to fish so I can feed myself. I know I need some newer software, I'm just trying to decide what will work best for me before I throw a few hundred dollars out there. Metalcasting is my main obsession, I just want to use CNC for making patterns, parts, and some signage.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 06:33:32 PM »
Ok, I did a quick cut in a blue foam piece. Mounting holes are perfect, I drilled them with 1/16" bit. The center hole is good, but it cut the torus in the negative instead of positive. I need to take a picture of the edge so it shows up better. Looks way better than what i was cutting anyway. The elipse did look way too big but, you're right, when it cut it was fine. I'll try to get some pictures, this is all pretty cool stuff!