Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:19:41 AM

Author Topic: Missing steps in jog follow mode  (Read 33512 times)

Offline rcrabb

•  146 146
    • View Profile
Missing steps in jog follow mode
« on: January 15, 2007, 09:25:12 PM »
I was running with the pod tonight. Everything was going great untill I put mach in jog follow mode. I was running a 3d four axis file. I put Mach in jog follow mode and started missing steps. Took it out of follow mode and everything was ok. I did this test several times. Every time with same results. Maybe you guys know of the bug, I'm just reporting what I find.
Ryan

Offline kookaburra

•  56 56
  • Fussy? Yep! That's Me ;)
    • View Profile
    • Akela Website
Re: Missing steps in jog follow mode
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 01:11:58 AM »
Ryan,

Thanks for letting us know, I will report the issue as it is not one I have come across before.

Dave
"A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
"If you think you are under pressure - Try opening a sippy cup on an airoplane - 30,000ft in the air"
Greetings From Down Under
Dave Drain
Akela Noble Technologies Pty. Ltd.

Offline rcrabb

•  146 146
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 11:54:52 PM »
Today I upgraded Mach3 and the NCpod plug-in. For the servo time I use .00084. I have been testing the pod as hard as I can. It seems the missing steps are not just related to jog follow mode but with any extra work the graphics on the screen do. If I rotate the graphic of the toolpath I get missing steps or if I move around screens allot.

Now I also find the FRO not working correctly. I move the slider and nothing changes. Sometimes it works.

Sometimes while running at 200ipm I do a feedhold when I restart the feedrate is much lower than 200ipm, maybe 50ipm. If I feedhold again and restart the feedrate goes back to 200ipm.

200ipm on my machine is near the limit of my steppers. I like to test at this speed because Ill get missing steps very easy if the pod doesn't keep the motion perfect. I do all these same tests using the printer port so I'm sure the information is pod related and not lack of torque, noise or any other strange variable. With that said, I found another thing. While running the roadrunner I would do a feedhold and restart, maybe 20 times. After the 20 feedholds I measured my axis and found I had lost position about 1/4 inch. I believe it was missing steps because I could here the missed steps everytime I did a feedhold.

Last thing for today. Everytime I start the pod I have to load the firmware. I get the slow blinking amber led. I load the firmware and the led stays steady. Is this the same for everyone?

My wife thinks its strange that I am happier when things don't work perfect.  ???
Ryan

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 12:00:51 AM »
Men. ;D
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline kookaburra

•  56 56
    • View Profile
    • Akela Website
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 12:15:46 AM »
Ryan,

You mean you are a hobby CNCist and you have a wife?  ???

Be Sure you have not accidently knock out your SD Card as this happened to me once and although the SD Card was in the housing, it was not all the way home  :o . Other than that mine works all the time every time.

I am running a servo system and the machines movements a 100% accurate so the Pod ad Mach3 are not actually losing the steps, rather I think your motors are skipping steps, this could be due to the fact that at the moment Mach3 and the Pod are not running stepper motors as well as Art would like to see them run  :'( . I know Art is working on that side of things.

Dave
"If you think you are under pressure - Try opening a sippy cup on an airoplane - 30,000ft in the air"
Dave Drain

Offline rcrabb

•  146 146
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 12:53:30 AM »
I don't believe the pod and mach3 are loosing steps between each other. It seems like there is a short comunication gap and the pod makes a quick move to catch up. This "quick move" is more than my motors can take.
Ryan

Offline rcrabb

•  146 146
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 09:16:46 AM »
Was anyone else able to recreate the problem I'm having with missing steps while rotating the toolpath or putting it in jog follow? If it will help I can make a short video.
Ryan

Offline kookaburra

•  56 56
    • View Profile
    • Akela Website
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 02:25:53 PM »
Ryan,

I am not reporting any missed steps at all with my system. I am running my machine (servo) at 18,000mm/min ( 708 inches/min ) and I am getting accurate results. I think in your case it is not so much the Pod and Mach losing steps, but more the fact that the Pod (at the moment) is not driving stepper motors as well as the Parallel port does, causing your motors to skip steps, this however, will be something that I know they will address and sort out.

Dave
Dave Drain
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 04:40:12 PM »
At this point I will not do any more testing till there is updated firmware and software... I have the results from the scope and I can tell you that after they get this last little bit fixed we are as good as gold ;) There is very little phase jitter in the pulse stream when it is working right...
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline kookaburra

•  56 56
    • View Profile
    • Akela Website
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 04:59:27 PM »
Brian,

Thanks for the info. I know the development lads are working on it right now. Hopefully there will be an update very soon.

Dave
Dave Drain