Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:07:55 PM

Author Topic: BT30 spindle from scratch - with power drawbar and ATC of course  (Read 562414 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: BT30 spindle from scratch - with power drawbar and ATC of course
« Reply #220 on: October 05, 2012, 01:05:46 PM »
Look forward to hear what the Copley's can do :)
Hood

Turns out the Mitsu has it also. Not a big surprise there. I purchased a second identical gearbox and the Mitsu 400 fits it so perfectly! I would like to get another Mitsu for the carousel, but they are a bit pricey for that application, methinks. Maybe I could justify it by getting a 750 watt Mitsu for my Z axis and recycle that 400 watt guy to carousel duty.

A good friend of mine had an interesting strategy that so far has not worked for me. If he wanted it, he bought it and his universal justification was 'I needed it to make me happy'. Must be nice . .  ::)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 05, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »
Nice work!.
It is also amazing to me that people will send you an email or PM but they won't post in the forum so everybody can participate.

Forums are the place where the small can be giants and the weak can be bullies. People have a bad experience with some a-hole who ridicules their ideas or comments and they don't post any more. With 3,400 reads and the same handful of people participating, I have to believe there are some great ideas out there that we will never hear about. It is foolish and short sighted to trade a moment of bravado for losing a resource, but a lot of people do it.  Great ideas often come from unlikely places.

If somebody posted a comment or idea in this thread and got slammed for their trouble, I'm afraid I would have to go postal on the slammer.
  Very well said Simpson.  I hope no one was put off too much by previous activity.  Your doing some great work and we appreciate you sharing!
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 05, 2012, 04:00:41 PM »
Are yall talking about me again ?  I try to be nice(;-).

(;-) TP

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 05, 2012, 04:31:43 PM »
Nice work!.
It is also amazing to me that people will send you an email or PM but they won't post in the forum so everybody can participate.

Forums are the place where the small can be giants and the weak can be bullies. People have a bad experience with some a-hole who ridicules their ideas or comments and they don't post any more. With 3,400 reads and the same handful of people participating, I have to believe there are some great ideas out there that we will never hear about. It is foolish and short sighted to trade a moment of bravado for losing a resource, but a lot of people do it.  Great ideas often come from unlikely places.

If somebody posted a comment or idea in this thread and got slammed for their trouble, I'm afraid I would have to go postal on the slammer.
 Very well said Simpson.  I hope no one was put off too much by previous activity.  Your doing some great work and we appreciate you sharing!

My problem with inputting any ideas is that I'm just an idiot,... and after watching the creativity shown here (and your other threads), I believe that's why you're not seeing a lot of ideas or comments.

We're all on the sidelines drooling thinking "wow, I hope to be that smart someday"  ;D

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 06, 2012, 06:16:53 AM »
I'm another one of those on the sidelines, but I'm thinking, he knows what he's doing and appears to of covered all the details/problems I can think of, so not much point contributing!
« Reply #225 on: October 06, 2012, 07:00:30 AM »
I'm another one of those on the sidelines, but I'm thinking, he knows what he's doing and appears to of covered all the details/problems I can think of, so not much point contributing!

I may not contribute anything worthwhile but I will at least cheer the person on.
When I was actively building my mill and was doing a thread on the 'Zone it was very similar, thousands of views and only a handle ful of comments. It makes you feel lonely sometimes.  :'(

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 06, 2012, 07:07:01 AM »
Actually I thought of something I always wanted know about these type of interchangeable setups. How does the individual toolholder keep from spinning in the socket when under extreme loads? Is it simply the spring/air pressure from the contacts of the balls?

I have a little toolchanger called the Rapid Changer, and they first had issues with the toolholders spinning so they went with a heavier spring. Then, that didn't "completely" work so the went to toolholders that have radii cut out to mesh with the clamping balls, and while that worked, it was harder to get the toolholder to seat in the toolchanger properly.

Some pics for you.
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #227 on: October 06, 2012, 07:21:35 AM »
Hi Dave,

The BT holders have two flats at 180 degrees which engage with keys on the spindle. See photos earlier in this thread.  In this one you can see the seats for the keys on the spindle:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,22080.msg155852.html#msg155852

And this photos you can see the f;ats on the holder:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,22080.msg154764.html#msg154764

Dan
« Reply #228 on: October 06, 2012, 10:45:21 AM »
I can't believe that Rapid Changer has adequate drawbar force if it needed those cuts to mesh with the gripper balls to keep from spinning.  While the BT30 does have drive dogs as mentioned by Dan, there are plenty of taper specifications that don't.  Friction in the taper itself should prevent the spinning.  Just one more reason they need so much force.

Best,

BW
Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #229 on: October 06, 2012, 11:04:52 AM »
Yes, I have an Emco F1 bench top mill and it uses BT30 holders without the flats and the spring force is sufficient to hold the holders not allowing them to slip.

Dan