Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 04:50:54 AM

Author Topic: Sieg SX4 CNC Conversion  (Read 16995 times)

Offline ThomasCB21

•  19 19
  • If it ain't fun, don't do it!
    • View Profile
Sieg SX4 CNC Conversion
« on: June 28, 2012, 08:31:55 AM »
Hi All,

I am looking into purchasing a Sieg SX4 (Grizzly G0720) to do some hobby work, as the kids leave the nest I have a little more time for myself  ;D.  I was wondering if anyone could direct me to anyone who has successfully converted one to CNC?  I was reading the specs on the mill and it has a spindle travel of 3-5/16", I was thinking of using the power lift for the Z motion and leaving the spindle locked in the up position to help stabilize it. 

Any thoughts?  All comments appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Chris
Re: Sieg SX4 CNC Conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 12:04:48 AM »
The "King" of Sieg mill conversion is Hoss over on CNC Zone. Check out his current build;

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/111863-hosss_g0704.html

His zeal for documenting mill CNC conversions, including photo's, CAD drawings, and videos is nothing short of amazing.

Offline ThomasCB21

•  19 19
  • If it ain't fun, don't do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:46:47 PM »
Holy Cow!  You weren't kidding, this guy has tons of information!  Looks like he's built a complete mini milling center.  I think I may have just found my new best friend. :D  Man, I really appreciate you sending me in this direction.

Chris
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:28:35 AM »
Hi ThomasCB21:

Glad to pass it on. :)

For a long time I paid little attention to the work of Hoss. I had seen some of his videos on Youtube, and was almost put off by his good ole boy southern drawl.

I have a full on machine shop, with all the goodies. Two CNC mills with 4-axis, a Bridgeport, two lathes, four drill presses, one procunier tapper, two band-saws, horizontal, and vertical, Miller Tig welder, Lincoln Mig welder, Lincoln Arc welder, A gas welding rig, and all the tooling to go with it all.

Then, one day I went to the Little Machine Shop which is about 15 miles north of my shop, and happened to look around at some of the mini-mills. They ran an ad for a Sieg micro mill that was being discontinued, and they were getting the last shipment of them from Sieg in China. I put my name on the list, for one of the little micro mills.

It was then, I began to look up the mods on the Sieg mills, and found that Hoss had done more stuff, plus documentation than any one I had ever seen or heard of! :o

A couple of months later, the last of the little Micro mills finally came in, and I just picked one up mine last week.

The one thing I am lacking in my shop is a small, high speed type of mill for doing little tiny stuff, like #0 center drills, 1mm drills, and tiny cutters. Running a 7.5hp spindle on a 5ton CNC mill doing holes in a two inch long part just doesn't fly. Besides, we love our toys!

Of all the people I have come across in the Mach type forums, Hoss stands apart from them all. He is also a very clever, and talented engineer.

Regards,
John