Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:43:16 AM

Author Topic: Sieg Motor Issues  (Read 4670 times)

Offline Preso

•  15 15
    • View Profile
Sieg Motor Issues
« on: May 30, 2012, 03:43:51 AM »
I have a Sieg X3 which I have converted with a Promica kit. The original 600W motor that shipped with the machine failed. It began to blow smoke and sparks from the top end of the armature and eventually blew every fuse I put in it. The machine was still under warranty but the vendor claimed that a new motor would take nearly three months to be delivered from China. I complained that I needed the machine to be running to complete a project for some students I was working with and the vendor grudgingly agreed to expedite deliver if I paid half the cost of shipping. I was now $50 poorer and advised that I would not be doing business with Minitech again!
I fitted the new motor however it is also acting strangely. It is also blowing fuses and there are sparks and smoke issuing from the brushes. I disconnected the belt drive and it has stopped blowing fuses but it will only run up to speed for a second before the fault light comes on. The brushes are good and I can see no problems with the commutator. Is there a way to test the motor out of the machine? Could it be the motor controller? Can that be tested with a multimeter? Any advice would be welcome. I am not good with electronics and only have a mediocre grasp of electrical theory.  ???
Re: Sieg Motor Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »
Hi Preso:
Littlemachineshop.com is a dealer of the Sieg machine line. They have a large inventory of replacement parts. They could probably tell you what the problem is over the phone. Very fine company, located in Southern California; phone, (800) 981-9663