Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:14:20 PM

Author Topic: Gunstocks!!!!!  (Read 29651 times)

Re: Gunstocks!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2012, 10:54:02 PM »
Sorry!!!

I'm having some trouble posting the pics!!! :)
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 01:30:11 AM »
Rich the checkering was done by hand, but I hope to try my hand, er, cnc at it sometime in the future. I have a new water cooled atc with a whole lot less run out than my PC has so maybe the checkering and cutting of guitar fretboard fret slots will go much smoother.

Jugster that looks like a 3 piece laminate of walnut using a fore end much like a McMillan Edge stock and sporting a turbo rimfire action??? Close? ;D

I will show some more later, but can't keep my eyes open now.

Mike
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 09:11:30 PM »
Mike,

I would say your pretty close on the action!!!!  Its actually a custom 10X.  I think that it was based on the Turbo though.  Forgive me, I not that up to date on all the components.  My smithing buddy just usually brings me the action, barrel, and trigger guard.  Then I just make it work.  As for as the the stock, I really couldn't say.  All I can say is that all of our stocks have been drawn from scratch depending on the customer.  There are actually six pieces of walnut in the last stock that I posted.  What type of spindle did you switch?  I have been really debating stepping up to the tool changer style as it would drastically cut the amount of time that I had to be available for the tool change.  Thanks for your comments!!!!
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 11:09:13 PM »
Hi jugster,

I bought one of the water cooled atc from Asia. I say Asia because the parts for it was made in Japan and assembled in China, shipped to California then on to me! It used ER20 or 25 collets and uses a pull stud collet holder.

I am considering going to a 6 axis robot. I have a Bobcat T250 skid steer track machine that if I can sell, I will consider the jump. Not so much for the stock part of my business, but I also carve foam for sports car bodies to use for the buck to make molds from.

I shut my stock business down 4 yrs ago to take care of my dying wife who had breast cancer. Lost her about 18 months ago and am just now beginning to start the rebuilding of the business. My intent was to rebuild the rifle stock portion first, and sell it for a little then repeat with my pistol grip line, and after that concentrate on my foam. The foam took off so fast I can't spend enough time on my stock portion.

Mike
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2012, 09:25:04 PM »
Mike,

If possible could you send me some info on the atc?  Website or something of that nature

Thanks,

Jamie
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2012, 09:46:43 PM »
Jamie, send me your email via pm.

Mike
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2015, 12:29:40 PM »
Its been awhile since Ive posted anything on this thread.  Im posting a picture of a stock that I recently cut.  I had been wanting to do this for a couple of years now, and I finally got around to doing.  I actually finshed it on the July 4.  Kind of ironic considering the theme of the stock.  The relief is mirrored on the opposing side as well, along with  the lettering down the forearm.  The lettering is 1/8 thick white maple and I trimmed each letter by hand for fit up.  That's the glory of wood.  Cut to size one day and give it a week or two and it will change. :D :D :D  The reliefs of the eagles are oak.  The center section of the stock is oak, and the outside pieces are walnut.  This one tops off the most time involved in one to date.  I cut the lettering pockets with a 1/16 end mill and had to switch software  mid stream to do it.  This one will be mine. LOL  I had plans of doing another theme stock after this, but Ive put that on hold.  Hope everyone enjoys.  When the build is completely finished I will post some pics.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2015, 03:04:30 PM »
Very nice!
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!