Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:50:46 AM

Author Topic: Set Z to zero automatically?Auto tool zero questions  (Read 85109 times)

Set Z to zero automatically?Auto tool zero questions
« on: January 06, 2007, 12:28:27 PM »
Happy New Year everyone, I am new to this and have built a router. I am actually using it now to build the second router. I MUST have more speed, cutting area and accuracy.  ;D I have been reading some this morning and want to set up the Auto Tool Zero button. I found a few post about the scripting needed and I think I understand how to use and set to the button. What I really need to know is how do you physically connect a touch plate? I want to set a plate with a known thickness under my router. Hit the button and have it lower to the plate. Zero the DRO and then raise an inch or so. Any help would be appreciated.

Dwayne

Re: Set Z to zero automatically?Auto tool zero questions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 06:28:10 PM »
All The guys are doing is ::)using a chunk of AL .125 plate and when the tool hits the part it tells the computer that it is there... I didn't think something like this would work but I was wrong   ::)

You would hook the frame to one side and the plate to the other side of the input... I have no idea how they stop noise from being a problem.
Hope that helps
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 07:39:22 PM »
Which input? The one in Mach for probe?

Offline Scott

•  139 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 10:21:31 PM »
Hi Dwayne,

Yes, hook it up to use the "Probe" input and in "Ports and Pins", set the proper port and pin number with active low.  Then just set up a button with the needed script.  I have found that I still need to fudge the plate thickness just a little (by way of a user DRO on the settings page), so you may need to experiment a little to find that sweet spot.  Other than that, I have had no problems with noise.

Regards,
Scott
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 10:24:31 PM »
Scott and Brian,

Thnks for replying. I will try to get something hooked up in the next few days. Tired of trying to look and see if I am on the part/table or not. My eyes are too old to let me see if the thing is right or not. Not to mention this has got to be faster and way moe accurate.

Dwayne

Offline Scott

•  139 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 10:28:49 PM »
Hey Dwayne,

Here's the script I'm using now.  You can adapt it to your needs if you want.  ;)

Regards,

'Z zeroing macro by Scott Worden - Timber Lake Creations (and a little "Probe Var" tip from Brian ;-).

CurrentFeed = GetOemDRO(818) 'Get the current feedrate.
PlateThickness = GetUserDRO(1151) 'You could put your z-plate thickness here instead
ProbeFeed = GetUserDRO(1152) 'You could put a probing feedrate here instead.

Code "G90 F" &ProbeFeed

If GetOemLed (825)=0 Then
Code "G4 P5" 'Time to get to the z-plate
Code "G31Z-5 F" &ProbeFeed
While IsMoving()
Wend
Code "G4 P0.25"
ZProbePos = GetVar(2002)
Code "G0 Z" &ZProbePos
While IsMoving ()
Wend
Call SetDro (2, PlateThickness)
Code "G4 P0.5" 'Pause for Dro to update.
Code "G0 Z2.0" 'Change the Z retract height here
Code "(Z axis is now zeroed)"
Code "F" &CurrentFeed
Else
Code "(Z-Plate is grounded, check connection and try again)"
Exit Sub
End If
Scott
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 02:53:49 PM »
All The guys are doing is ::)using a chunk of AL .125 plate and when the tool hits the part it tells the computer that it is there... I didn't think something like this would work but I was wrong ::)

You would hook the frame to one side and the plate to the other side of the input... I have no idea how they stop noise from being a problem.
Hope that helps
Brian

I work for multicam, thats how they do it, except that they put a grounding clip on the spindle because their spindles have ceramic bearings so it would not transfer the signal
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 09:41:27 PM »
Scot where do I set the thicness of the plate at in the script? Also the set position once raised along with the feed speed to plate?

Dwayne

Offline Scott

•  139 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 12:37:55 AM »
Dwayne,

In the script, I have comments stating where you can change or hard code the variables if you don't have any of the DRO's in your screen set.

For the plate thickness, you would replace GetUserDRO (1151) with the thickness of your plate.   It would look like this...PlateThickness =0.125 or whatever the thickness of your plate is.

For the feedrate...ProbeFeed=20 or whatever speed you want

And for the height after setting, in the script where it reads....Code "G0 Z2.0" 'Change the Z retract height here, just change it to G0 Z whatever you want.  You could also use a variable at the beginning for this instead. 

Hope this helps,
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 12:41:06 AM by Scott »
Scott
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 01:55:24 PM »
Does the plate need to have any give to it? It somehow bothers me to have the system feed down and hit a plate with a sharp tool- doesn't the tool dig into the plate a bit?

I considered gluing a sheet of rubber under the plate to add just a bit of give- is that necessary?