Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:38:02 PM

Author Topic: ESS HOMING ISSUE  (Read 10537 times)

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Re: ESS HOMING ISSUE
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 07:25:23 AM »
If this is actually an issue, it's the first one I've heard of with the ESS. My minor issue while testing for someone else, was so esoteric as to almost not be counted, probing in LATHE!! If there is a slave axis homing issue, it's the first ESS issue I've seen that might actually effect some folks. The ESS has been very solid and I, personally, wouldn't be the least bit afraid to buy one now. And it sounds like Greg is on the slave homing thing.

Tom
--
Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 07:44:47 AM »
If this is actually an issue, it's the first one I've heard of with the ESS. My minor issue while testing for someone else, was so esoteric as to almost not be counted, probing in LATHE!! If there is a slave axis homing issue, it's the first ESS issue I've seen that might actually effect some folks. The ESS has been very solid and I, personally, wouldn't be the least bit afraid to buy one now. And it sounds like Greg is on the slave homing thing.

Tom
Sadly the step/dir spindle issues that have been there since the early days of the USB SS are still present in the ESS so there are still issues. The ESS however solved a lot of the other small niggles I had, none really serious but just quirky kind of behaviour such as on initial start up sometimes I would have to jog an axis before any modbus commands would work, with the ESS thats all gone.
As said the only complaint for me now is spindle, it will occasionally drop pulses for a split second, most wouldnt notice it but with my lathes spindle being very heavy I get quite a clunk.
Another issue is the SRO is very clunky and the drop of pulses for a split second happens a lot more frequently when SRO is in effect One issue that has been been reintroduced in the ESS is if you feedhold then press Stop the spindle will stop abruptly without deceleration, this had happened in the past with the USB one but was fixed a long time ago.
Oh also in threading the FRO is still active, that should be disabled and I think it was in USB SS but it certainly is not the case in the ESS.
All in all I love it and it works extremely well for me except the spindle control and threading issues.

Hood

Offline rdean

•  94 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 04:08:44 PM »
I also had homing and just weirdness problems after I installed the ESS. I have a carriage type router with the A axis slaved with the X axis.  Had all the problems that TommyD explained and several more in some of the M codes I had written.  

So far every problem I have had has been fixed by adding a STOP command in the script. While troubleshooting  I noticed that if I hit the stop button at the right time the homing and my M codes all worked fine.  I don't know if it is the ESS not knowing when the operation is complete or if it is in Mach3.  

I have no idea if it will help with the spindle problems but it may be worth a try as this stop command has fixed several other unrelated issues for me.
Add a "DoButton(3)" line to your script just for fun and see.

I am running Version R3.043.022 for Mach and plugin v10fb1 for ESS.

Ray

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 03:58:24 AM »
Not sure if it would help but I will give it a go, however Greg has said to me that he thinks there is a bug in his plugin code for the step/dir spindle but as far as I know he has not looked at it to see.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 11:46:25 PM »
I'm trying to integrate an ESS board with a PMDX-126 on a CRP-4848.  Homing the X axis and slaved A axis is failing with either both axis stopping on the X-Home and the X axis continuing into the end of the axis and hitting the bumper, or both axis stopping on the X-Home, the X stepping off the X-Axis while the A-axis starts moving positively until the gantry is twisted.

My reading suggests there is possibly an issue with homing slaved axis with the ESS.  Any suggestions, hints, hopes?
I'm not a complete idiot...
    there are some parts missing.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 09:45:30 AM »
Hi Analias, I'm also using slave axis with ESS and C32 board and it works well in my case.

Regards,
Peter