Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:18:05 AM

Author Topic: Where to start  (Read 1503 times)

Where to start
« on: May 18, 2022, 01:42:56 AM »
Hello -
My final goal is to read the current XYZ positions in Mach 4 through Modbus TCP.  I have written programs to read and write data via Modbus (although I will have to brush up on it) so that part doesn't scare me.  Concerning Mach 4, I don't know what I need to know.

I fumbled through the Modbus plugin dialog but was expecting a screen where I could say something like "this address contains this data, and by the way it is a float".  I looked for some documentation on the Modbus plugin but didn't find anything.

Can you please point me in a direction to get started?  Is there documentation?  Are there examples similar to what I want to do (read positions from Mach 4)?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Re: Where to start
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 08:30:47 PM »
Hi,
this post should be on the Mach4 General Discussion board.

In order to transfer data using MODBUS you need to form registers. Then you populate the registers with the numbers you want, for instance a DRO, and then MODBUS
will transmit the data value. This may help you find the variables you want:

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=40051.0

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: Where to start
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 08:40:14 AM »
Hi Craig

Just wondering if you have ever sent data (numbers, string, no digital/analogue inputs) from another software/interface (python/arduino) to Mach4?

My idea is to have an input signal that stops the gcode running, and then the "software/interface" decides the new gcode line where to start (another piece of data sent to Mach4), and then an input signal (string, or number) to start the cycle from that line.

I hope my idea is clear

kind regards

Pablo