Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:50:23 AM

Author Topic: smooth stepper stops when using z-axis to throw switch  (Read 6948 times)

smooth stepper stops when using z-axis to throw switch
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:09:38 PM »
I am using smooth stepper and it works well EXCEPT for one isuue: I am using a brain to close an output switch when the DRO for the Z axis is greater than 0.00.    This worked fine on an old laptop with a DB25 output connector so I know the g-code can run properly. When I use a laptop with a USB connection and SmoothStepper, the g-code stops running when the Z-axis is used to close the output switch.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem?

Thanks,
-jim

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: smooth stepper stops when using z-axis to throw switch
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 09:39:32 AM »
Can you post your brain here and the version of Mach and the SS plug-in you are using? Some things that Mach does in Brains/macros do not work well with external motion devices like the SmoothStepper. Mostly this is due to the plug-in not being told (having access to) some information from Mach. Also what are you doing with this output? There may be other ways to accomplish the same result.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 08:31:12 AM »
My Brain is:

If Z DRO > 0.0000  close output #4

I am using a command to the Z axis to close a switch. I am doing this because I want the switch to close while the X and Y axis are moving.

Thanks, any help is MUCH appreciated.

-jim

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »
But WHY are you turning on OUtput#4? What does outptu#4 do? I'm trying to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:50:46 PM »
I am not using Mach3 to run a milling machine. I am using it to control a CNC machine of my own design. What needs to happen is for me to be able to throw a switch in the middle of an x&Y axis run.

So my question is what is causing smooth stepper to stop the running of my g-code. Do I need to de-bounce the signal? Do I need an opto-coupler between smooth stepper and my motors/switches?

Thanks,
-jim

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 10:35:09 AM »
Jim I'm really trying to help you but you won't answer my questions. I'll try one more time:

1) What does your Output #4 do? Turn on a coolant pump, an air blast etc? If you tell us what this output does someone may be able to come up with an alternate way to accomplish the same task. For example a typical way to turn on an output would be to use GCode by issuing an M3. You can even create your own macro to turn on a custom output.

2) What version of Mach and the SmoothStepper plug-in are you using?

In general Brains can be hard to work with as they often have not worked properly from one version of Mach to the next.

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:18:34 AM »
Hi Jeff,
Sorry for not being as clear as possible. Output #4 turns on a compressed air solenoid valve on my application. It is open for about 1-4 seconds during an (approximately)  10-20 second run of the motors connected to the X and Y axis.

I just got the smooth stepper about 2 weeks ago. I am using the most current version of Mach3 (as downloaded from the artsoft website.

thanks,
-jim

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:02:49 AM »
OK, why not use an M7 or M8 (typical coolant/mist macros) to turn your solenoid on/off?

i.e.

M7
G1 X10.5 Y0
M9
G1 X15 Y0

That would be a more typical way of controlling an air blast.

Can you tell me 'exactly' what versions of Mach and the SmoothStepper plug-in you are using. The reason I keep asking is that there have been recent changes in Mach that broke compatibility with some plug-ins and you should only use the current Mach lock down version with the latest USB SmoothStepper plug-in. When the next USB SmoothStepper plug-in comes out it will be made to work with Mach .057 and higher.

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »
Hi Jeff,

The smooth stepper i am using is version 1.2

The version of Mach3 is:  R3.043.022

Hope this helps. Please help!!

Thanks,
-jim
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 06:23:17 PM »
When the z axis is activated to trigger the #4 output using a brain, it will sometimes work. But every once in a while, the E-stop is activated when the #4 output is set back to "off".

Is there a software adjustment that will make the e-stop function less sensitive? I don't know why it is being tripped, but since it happens irregularly, I wonder if the problem might be a switch "bounce" or the duration of the #4 output signal.

Thanks,
-jim