Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:04:09 AM

Author Topic: 9x20 Chinese Lathe Conversion  (Read 88519 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: 9x20 Chinese Lathe Conversion
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2012, 02:17:10 PM »
Dan, did you ever get the spindle tuned? Did you ever get the plugin sorted so you can run it from the SS with the quadrature signal?
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »
Hi Hood,

I was not able to tune the spindle :( Just looks like the Ultra 5000 has the wrong parameters for tuning a servo. Can't get it hold position and be stiff at the same time. Either can get it position tuned or be stiff. Put in an AMT programmable encoder instead of the original 1000 ppr one the other day. Set it to 2048 ppr and tried to tune it. Had only less than an hour to play with it, but it didn't feel any better. In fact may be even worse, but I am not sure. The belt, although pretty tight, starts behaving as a musical instrument string when I try to increase the position gain. And in the same time I get overshoot on position. The point when I am happy with the position gain and there is no overshoot, the spindle loses stiffness completely.

Regarding the plugin, yes, Greg sent me a version with quadrature signal for the spindle, but he said he didn't think it would solve the problem we were experiencing, but it would be nice if it did in some way. If you like to play with I can send it to you. It works very well here, and in spite of what Greg said I haven't been able yet to get any symptoms of the problem we were seeing with the spindle. SRO seems to be working fine as well as CSS. But I only had a few minutes to play with it.

Dan

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2012, 04:36:54 PM »
Hopefully you will get the better of it. Can you set the resoltion of these encoders higher? You may have more chance getting it tuned if you can.
I have a word doc that I got from someone who in turn  got it from Allen Bradley, it is for tuning the Ultra 3000's but to be honest its not that detailed but may help, Have attached it here.

Regarding the ESS plugin, yes if you could send I will give it a go and see.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2012, 03:45:31 AM »
Hood,

Thanks for the doc. The Ultra 5000 has a somewhat different tuning screen, but I think I can try implementing some of the recommendations, like the scope setup. Wonder if they could provide a similar doc for the 5000 if I asked.

I emailed you the plugin. Please let know how it works for you.

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2012, 04:01:21 AM »
Thanks Dan will give it a go later today if I get a chance, I have to swap a servo and drive on my manual lathes spindle first though.
AB may have info but hope you have more luck that I have ever had, all they ask is if you have a service contract and if you dont they are not willing to talk. It may of course be different in other parts of the world.
Hood

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »
It may of course be different in other parts of the world.

:D :D Not with AB.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2012, 11:11:19 AM »
It may of course be different in other parts of the world.

:D :D Not with AB.

I dont know either, I think once Brett managed to get some info on the Sercos drives for me, then again it may have been because he put on his best, posh, redneck accent and said if he didnt give the info him and brother Bubba would come and visit ;D

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »
Tried the plugin and it seemed fine for a while but then the pulses stopped for a split second so afraid its not fixed for me.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »
We'll have to keep waiting for Greg to fix this then :(

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2012, 01:53:28 PM »
Maybe one day he will but well........
I have just purchased the CSMIO IP-S, should be getting it in a week or so. It has a few drawbacks at the moment but also a lot of pluses. I plan to put it on the wee lathe first then if it comes good I will be swapping it over onto the big lathe and the ESS will go on the wee one.
Time will tell if its the right thing to do I suppose.
Hood