General CNC Chat > Show"N"Tell ( Your Machines)

9x20 Chinese Lathe Conversion

<< < (11/25) > >>

Dan13:
Yes, ESS and quadrature output. Spindle doesn't have the quad output yet, but Greg is working on this.

That's right. This was what I was meaning regarding cutting the AC to the drive - you are relying on the bus voltage that's left in the drive just for a few seconds to brake the motor and this was what I was not comfortable with.

You can find the Emergency Stop description and diagram in this manual for instance: 2098-in001_-en-p on page 132.

Dan

Hood:
Might give that a try when its done as it may work better than Step/Dir spindle in the SS/ESS

The axis motor would stop instantly with an ovetravel so even  less than a second to dissipate the power wouldnt be an issue. However the big drives I use have shunt circuitry and the wee drives I use active shunts, what it would be like without the shunts I dont know.

I just downloaded that manual and see the circuit you are talking about, strange thing is I cant seem to find anything similar in the 3000's manual I have. Have done a search and neither "Emergency Stop" or "Contactor Wiring" or" Emergency Stop Contactor Wiring"  gives a hit, wonder why they would have it in the 5000 manual but not the 3000 ones?

Hood

Dan13:
Strange. Don't know. It's also in the Ultra 100 manual - same diagram.

Why do you think quadrature will work better than differential step and direction (you have line drivers I am sure)?

Dan

Hood:
Its not the step/dir being the problem as such but rather the implementation of Step/Dir spindle in the SS and ESS not being perfect. If you try and use Spindle Override it will seem fine then all of a sudden the pulse stream will stop for a fraction of a second then it will be ok again and thus I have SRO disabled on my machines. The same thing actually also happens during normal spindle operation but it is a lot less common. I  likely notice it more  because I have a heavy spindle ( Large spindle with gears, 250mm dia chuck etc) with a lot of momentum and it gives a right clunk when it happens.
Hopefully Greg will have a look at things when he is doing the quad spindle for you, I gave up hoping he would sort it.

Hood

Dan13:
Ah... that. I thought I was the only one reporting this to Greg. I don't tend to use SRO, but I see what you describe when I have CSS enabled - it would operate fine for minutes and then would miss some pulses and the drive would fault. Hope to be able to report how it goes with the quad signals.

Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version