Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 06:19:21 PM

Author Topic: Circle cutting wizard and Cutter Compensation  (Read 6635 times)

Offline Chief

•  16 16
    • View Profile
Circle cutting wizard and Cutter Compensation
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:18:10 PM »
Hi all,

Today I had an issue when using the circle cutting wizard where the tool path ended up with a small "dogtail" cut outside of my desired inside cut circle.  Since I use a Tormach 1100 mill, I asked first at CNCzone and a user pointed out that there were G41's in the code and suggested deleting them.  When I did that, the circles cut just fine.  I didn't understand why they were there in the first place, so I came over here and did a search for the issue.  I didn't find that problem exactly, but a similar thing was happening to a gent cutting DB-9 openings using that wizard. The responses indicated he did have a problem with the cutter comp and gave him a work around.

In my case, I did not intentionally ask for any compensation, and in the wizard I selected an arbitrary tool number, that was not populated in the tool table, so I don't know why it was added to the code.  So, I guess my real question is, why did it show up, and how can I keep it from doing so?

Thanks

Terry

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Circle cutting wizard and Cutter Compensation
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:28:43 PM »
Which circle cutting wizard are you using?

RICH

Offline Chief

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »
Rich,

The Newfangled Cut Circle wizard V 2.72

Terry

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »
Just did  very quick look and see.......
That wizard adds a lead in /  lead out and dosen't ask if you want one or what kind.
 Guess you'll need to delete it. If you wanted it, then probably the wizard wouldn't have been done to add it.  ;)
Delete the line when you verify it, but, it is good practice to have a lead in and lead out for a better finish and machining.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 04:59:12 PM »
There is a nice circle wizard which was posted some time ago called ANDYS CIRCLE ROUTINE you may want to search for and try.
RICH
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 06:12:56 PM »
You should update to the latest version- 2.86 There were some fixes made to the circle comp code a couple years ago.

See the sticky topic at the top of the Newfangled section for the latest version.

Offline Chief

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 11:52:52 PM »
Ron,

Thanks for pointing it out, until I responded to Rich I didn't realize I was using the older version.

I had been running 2.86, but somehow when I did my Tormach Series III upgrade and they sent a new Mach 3 disk, I mistakenly loaded the old version when I started putting things back together. I'll fix that in the morning and let everyone know if it solves my problem, I'm betting it will.

Terry

Offline Chief

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »
Art, Rick, all,

Just wanted to close the loop on my questions.  I reloaded the 2.86 version this morning and cut a very nice circle, with absolutely no problems.  The code still puts in the G41's but evidently they are correct, since the cutter doesn't cut anything except the circumference of the programed circle.

Again, my thanks for all your help.

Terry