Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:44:54 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 / Cut 3D crashing on Win 7 dedicated computer  (Read 10677 times)

Offline Red

•  19 19
    • View Profile
Mach 3 / Cut 3D crashing on Win 7 dedicated computer
« on: January 08, 2012, 06:34:20 PM »
Hi,
I'm trying to fault trace why my computer may be hanging during some runs.
The machine is a P4 running 32 bit Win 7. It is not web connected, has no anti virus installed, and I have stopped all the interruption applications I can find, including power down and screen savers. It controls the machine fine via a Gecko 203v based board.

I can access Cut 3D from the Mach 3 menus and work through the simulation processes in Cut 3D and generate .tap files.
The job will run fine in Mach 3 for 10, 15, 20 minutes, sometimes to completion, but the computer freezes and requires a hard reboot.

Does anyone have ideas about possible sources of crashes?

Offline Red

•  19 19
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 / Cut 3D crashing on Win 7 dedicated computer
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »
Well, I started the computer and ran about 10000 lines of G-code offline under Mach 3 across 6 files.
I started Cut 3D from within Mach 3, set up some .tap files, exited and ran another 100 000 of code offline with no problems.
I restarted the computer and air cut 2000 lines of G-code (i.e. machine was online and moving, but Z was at a safe height).  The cut completed fine and I was able to move the mouse, then the system crashed and necessitated a hard reboot.

Mach 3 or Windows related?

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 09:41:09 AM »
Could also be PC related. There is no way to tell at this point. The best test woudl be to set everything up on another PC and see if that works.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Red

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:30:46 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.
The computer is stable.  Mach3 is stable. They can both be left on and used for days on end without problems.
But if I have the CNC power supply fired up, then the computer crashes unpredictably. The power supply is hooked to 4 Gecko 203v and a PMDX128 BOB linked to the computer via parallel cable.
Previously this setup was stable, so I'm guessing that something physical has happened. A short or earth problem? How to test - by removing and replacing parts?

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
But if I have the CNC power supply fired up, then the computer crashes unpredictably.

As the saying goes, "Well there's your problem!"

The first thing I would do is turn off the cnc power supply and unplug the stepper motors. Now turn the power supply back on. Does it still lock up after a while? If not then you likely have a wiring error/short with one of your stepper motors or a stepper cable is inducing noise into the system somewhere. If it still locks up, then turn off the power, remove the drives and power back up. Doe you still have a problem with it locking up?

Offline Red

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 04:46:21 AM »
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your input.
I actually ended up a shorter route (pun). I was in the shed without shoes (yes I know). Anyway, I touched the rails and got a buzz. Touched the control box and got a buzz, and touched the computer box and got a buzz. I fixed the earth in the control box that had broken loose in the recent move and fixed that problem.
Still had crashes, though, must to my annoyance.

My wife comes in and says,"Why don't you try plugging the power board into a separate socket from the computer?"
Humph, what does she know!
Well the crashes have stopped. Pulling 4-9 amps off a 10 amp domestic circuit must have been enough to upset the computer.

Anyway, Mach 3 was never to blame, nor was the link to Cut 3D. I got to this conclusion early in the piece by testing simulated runs with and without Cut 3D, and with and without the power board on.

Many thanks for your interest and support.
Regards
Red

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 11:08:08 AM »
Glad you got it sorted. Motors and such will often pull a lot more current when they start up and can also put a lot of electrical noise back out on the AC line. Both of which can make other things plugged into the same circuit very unhappy.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:12:20 PM »
just a question for you im thinking building a new machine with new computer win 7 i see you have win 7 32 bit when useing cut 3d can you post straght to mach3 from cut 3d or do you have to save first then open saved file in mach 3

Offline Red

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:37:52 PM »
I'm no authority because I've only just started using both programs, but save from Cut3D is what I've been doing (because you need to select the appropriate file type), and then open the code in Mach3
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »
Newby here...
BobCAD suggested Mach3.  I just got BobCAD v24 Mill Pro and am looking for interface down to machine(s). However, I see where a couple of add-on vendors were apparently surprised by changes in the Mach3 code and/or config tables. Is Mach3 changing support or authorship staff?  I have limited $ and time.  If I must create my own 'Postprocessor', I will.  However, I would way rather rely on a well tended project.

Are there:
4-axis support? (x,y, z,a) with proper command threading?
Dual Z support?  z1=quill, z2=knee
Spindle speed control?
Coolant pump control?
All at once??  :)

Thanks - lovin' the excitement!

Jeff Thompson