Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:44:17 AM

Author Topic: Ethernet SmoothStepper first test  (Read 95179 times)

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: Ethernet SmoothStepper first test
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2012, 02:54:55 PM »
Does A axis homing work with the ESS?

I cannot get it to work at all with the USB version . . the A axis Home sensor light up on the Mach diag screen and the checkbox in SS data window toggles, but Mach just ignores the hit.

I have even manually hit the pin with 5V just in case the sensor signal was weak or of too short duration. Nada.  Have tries several different pins on SS. Nada.

Works fine on PP.

Is this a known problem?

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Ethernet SmoothStepper first test
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2012, 03:12:43 PM »
Works for me. My A is linear, the knee on my BP clone. I've not had an issue USB or ESS. Sorry I can't be of more assistance!

Tom

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.287541,-88.516837
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
Tom
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2012, 07:31:04 PM »
Thanks y'all, I guess I will wait for my machine to come then I will play with it.

Another question,

The board has 4 female connections, 3 that can be connected to a parallel plug, which one do I use? I was thinking the one at the top, not any of the 2 on the side. Are the other 2 used to control multiple machines? I assume the 4th plug is for a different type of plug.

Also is it okay if I manually ground or apply 5V to some of these pins sticking out without it being connected to a parallel port? I want to play around with some of the pin settings on mach3 but don't want to mess anything up.

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 01:03:37 AM »
It shouldn't matter which port you use on the ESS board as long as you set the correct port number (each port on the board is designated) in Mach3 Port and Pins. The 4th connector is an extension port for future use.

If I understand correctly your last question, you want to manually simulate inputs. You can do this. Use the 5V from the board supply.

Dan

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2012, 04:30:32 AM »
Works for me. My A is linear,
I should have been more specific. Rotary axis are more troublesome because the duration of the signal is very short.

The issue is resolved, in any case. The problem was noise on the signal line. I am using (for the moment) a special smoothstepper BOB made by CNC4PC. The BOB has filters on the inputs which might have contributed. Trying to run crap thru a crap filter is not a good process. I have had this smoothstepper in a box for about a year, and with the release of the new plug-in, I decided to give it another try. So while I have had it for quite a while, I am still a noobie and learning the quirks. The BOB, incidentally, has port 2 locked as inputs, which is probably OK for most setups, but  I need outputs and so had to modify the board.

FWIW, the solution consisted of several changes. First, the inputs were pulled high. I don't know at this point if that is from the smoothstepper or the BOB but I had to put a 1K pulldown on the pin to shut it off, then drive thru it with the remainder of a 5V signal running thru a rather hungry opto. I have about 3.7V at the pin for the 'ON' signal and .68 for OFF. Not ideal, but it is working. In addition, I had to set the smoothstepper filter to a value of 1.0 and drop back to the previous plug-in (prior to the eb).

I am not satisfied completely with this solution and I would categorize it as a workaround. However, the 4th axis is homing now and I can get on with my project. I'm not giving up on the smoothstepper just yet, however, the BOB will be going away and having discovered how sensitive the smoothstepper is, I'll be providing separate super clean 5V power to it and pay close attention to the grounding.

New Q about the ESS: does the new board have the same annoying ultra persistent, un dismissable error splash screens as the USB version? That in itself would be reason enough to avoid it, in my view. 

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2012, 05:43:39 AM »
New Q about the ESS: does the new board have the same annoying ultra persistent, un dismissable error splash screens as the USB version? That in itself would be reason enough to avoid it, in my view. 

Don't think it's a board related thing, but rather a plugin one. I know what you mean and it used to happen quite often here with the previous plugins. With the latest one, this messages got very, very rare and still haven't had those you call in-dissmisible. This is with a USB board.

Dan
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2012, 03:32:15 PM »
HI guys
where can I get the software download for the ESS? Can't get any information from smothe stepper.
Thanks
Bill

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2012, 03:40:56 PM »
http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/Ethernet_Smooth_Stepper.html

No idea why, if these are actually for sale, the plugin isn't on the Warp9 site. So you bought an ESS and have no software or a hint where to get it? Huh...........
--
Tom
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2012, 03:46:15 PM »
Thats right just a board and a flat cable in a box.a

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2012, 04:19:11 PM »
Who did you buy it from?
Had someone else contact me for the plugin as they had bought one from CNC4PC and never got the plugin seems strange.
Hood