Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:03:16 PM

Author Topic: Pokeys generates unsolicited jog  (Read 8212 times)

Pokeys generates unsolicited jog
« on: November 14, 2011, 01:18:03 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I have just completed putting together a somewhat large control panel using pokeys and several of the boards from CNC4PC (motherboard--M2R4 I believe, output, lcd, relay).  I have download the latest Mach3 release, as well as the latest plug-in and pokeys software.  I am using nearly all the pins, and 48 or so of them are working as expected, so I am confident that I understand the software and interfact. I am, however, having a very strange and frustrating problem with two of them: pins 10 and 11.

I have these set up as standard digital inputs.  The strange behavior is that whenever pin 10 is brought high and the jog mode is set to continuous or step, then the x axis begins to jog-left.  When pin 11 is brought high then the x-axis begins to jog-right. I have not, to my knowledge, in any way associated these pins with this behavior. Furthermore, I have all brains removed, and this problem occurs even if I uncheck all options on the pokeys config screen (so that I am not mapping pins to LEDs, etc, I also uncheck encoders, as well as matrix keyboard, etc). The behavior stops if I disable the pokeys plug-in.  

I would apppreciate any advice into either what might be going on or how to track it down.  I really have no idea how to track the pokeys signal in mach to figure out why the jog is clicking on.

I hope that I was clear in my description, but if there is any other information that would be helpful, please let me know.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline borisz

•  220 220
    • View Profile
    • www.poscope.com
Re: Pokeys generates unsolicited jog
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:17:01 AM »
Hi!

Which version of PoKeys you have 55 or 56U or 56E?
Do you have latest firmware? (PoKeys software-> upgrade)
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »
Sorry.

Pokeys56U
Software: 3.0.12
Mach Plugin: 10.6.4
Mach version: R3.043.022
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:23:31 PM »
Oops again. 
I don't have the firmware number with me, but I just upgraded it last night.  Actually, it had the latest firmware, but I downloaded it and reinstalled anyhow.  So it is up to date.

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 01:25:50 PM »
When this behaviour is observed, close Mach and open PoKeys configuration software. Then just save the current configuration (File > Save) and send it to support@poscope.com.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 11:16:40 AM »
You need to contact "Aurturo Duncan" of CNC4PC, there is a short on that mother board, he may need to send you out the new revised PKMB.

scott
fun times
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 02:21:47 PM »
Scott,

I checked the items you ordered and noted that you do not have a Pokeys 56U, but a Pokeys 55.

Here are some thoughts:
-   I saw that you got an MPG10 and several other boards.  The MPG10 does not use pins 10 and 11, so you must be using it with other boards.  How are you activating it?
-   You need to figure out how those functions been activated.  The brains provided with the MPG10 do not call for step jog.  I suggest disabling all the brains and OEM triggers, and then start activating them one by one.
-   Check if a short in the wiring could be activating an unwanted function.  Go to the pokeys software and activate pin by pin, and make sure all pins are mapped like they are supposed to.
-   You can also click on view brain, and look for a lobe that calls for jogging.  See how it is activated.
Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Arturo Duncan
http://cnc4pc.com
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 02:23:17 PM »
Scott,

One more question, Are you using a plugin for this? or just controlling with with brains and OEM Triggers?

Thanks,

Arturo Duncan
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 12:36:40 AM »
Hi Arturo,
Thanks for the response.

These pins are accessed by an M23 input board attached to port 2 of the motherboard (I expanded the MPG10 and added several more buttons).

Using the Pokeys software, I monitor all output/input pins and find no evidence for a short or unexpected crosstalk between pins.  When I push the appropriate buttons I see them (and only them) trigger in the pokeys IO monitor.  There is nothing apparently wrong at this stage.

In Mach, I have removed ALL brains from the brains folder and restarted mach.  There are no brains running when I get this behavior. I have not tried to deactivate the OEM triggers, but I will try that tomorrow.  However, I am sure that none of these are currently mapped to the pokeys pins 10 and 11.

Nevertheless, these pins activate the jog and they only do so if the pokeys plug in is activated.  Note again that I have disabled most of the options in the plug-in but still get the behavior.

Somehow I need to track down how the jog could be activated by the plug in but in the absence of brains.

Scott
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 06:21:56 AM »
Scott,

So it is not a hardware issue.  You could have an OEM triggered to those functions.

Arturo Duncan