Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:08:38 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 with Smoothstepper, table that don't stop jogging  (Read 10486 times)

Mach3 with Smoothstepper, table that don't stop jogging
« on: November 07, 2011, 08:54:24 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I just finished the assembly a third CNC router table and I made my first initials tests yesterday.  The PC is a laptop and I use a smoothstepper.   My setup use the latest Mach3 development (Mach3 R3.043.050) that is compatible with the latest smoothstepper firmware (SmoothStepper_v17efb).

I played with the motion for many minutes, I ran the demo tool path roadrunner and another tool path in mach3 without problem.  But while I was playing with the machine at some time, the machine continued to jog after I stop pressing the keyboard jog arrow button.  Even If i pressed other arrow or PG-UP or PG-DN key the machine continued to move in the last direction at the same speed.  The only way to stop it was to press the "Reset" button in mach3 screen.

The problem is not easily repeatable.  I can jog fine for 5-10 minutes and then it will show the glitch.  All axis have shown the glitch.

I just wanted to know if anybody already observed such a behavior or if it could be a known bug.

Regards,

_________
Sébastien
Re: Mach3 with Smoothstepper, table that don't stop jogging
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:38:07 AM »
Hello,

Just a small update :

I suspected the laptop keyboard at first but I was able to reproduce the problem by clicking on the arrow buttons on the jog control virtual pendant in Mach3 (when you hit tab).  When the problem happen everything in mach3 seems to work fine as the DROs are updated correctly with the table movement.  And when the weird behavior happen the table continue to move even if I click on other arrow on the virtual jog buttons in mach3.  Just clicking on the Reset button in mach3 and the table stop.

One other thing I want to try is to define soft limits and try to reproduce the glitch while inside the soft limits.  I could see if the machine will stop at the stop limits boundary even if the jog command stopped working.

Sébastien

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:36:45 AM »
On the KFlop forum, someone had a similar problem that appears to be a bug in the development version.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Mc2

•  31 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 10:36:46 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a fix for this issue yet. I have experienced this jogging issue on 5 computers with smoothsteppers and 1 without several times. This issue actually has been around for at least a year or so that I know of. I have noticed that if Mach3 has set idle for awhile the first jog may hang and not stop jogging. I have gotten in the habit of jogging Z axis up first as to not break any additional bits. I still forget though.

Jim.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 11:58:29 AM »
I just installed my ESS and have this problem!

Any news on how to correct?

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:07:42 AM »
I would suggest posting these problems on the Warp9 forum. Someone there was having a similar problem and Greg wrote a special plug-in to log the jog commands Mach sent to the plug-ins in order to diagnose the source of the problem. If you email Greg he will send you the special plug-in for testing purposes.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt