Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 07:22:44 AM

Author Topic: Couple things - User parameters and Distance off the home switch  (Read 7936 times)

First off Mach3 is a great program.  I commend you, the guys who have programmed this.

1) I'd like to see "User" parameters for us to integrate into our G-code.  Seimens does this in there modern CNC's.  They call them R-parameters.  Here is a sample on how they are used.

R10=5   ; Slow speed
R11=10  ; High Speed
R12=8    ; project X length

N10 G01 X=5+R12 F=R10
N20 G03 X2.25 Y2.25 CR2.25 F=R11+R10

This allows you to write a core program and just tweak parameters at the top of you program to change the desired effects.  What I wrote is lame but hopefully you get the idea.

2)  with all the trouble and false trips after homing could there be a parameter to adjust the "axis" a set value away from the switch.  "Home position off the switch" = .250" etc...

Maybe Mach has these features and so far I have not discovered them.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Couple things - User parameters and Distance off the home switch
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 10:03:05 PM »
2)  with all the trouble and false trips after homing could there be a parameter to adjust the "axis" a set value away from the switch.  "Home position off the switch" = .250" etc...

Maybe Mach has these features and so far I have not discovered them.

You either have a noise problem or bad switches, and moving farther off the switch won't help.
It is possible to do, however. In Config >Homing/Limits, there's a Home Offset column to set the location of the switch in Machine Coordinates. You can modify the homing script to move wherever you want after the homing process has completed.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:50:41 PM »
Gerry,

Thanks for the constructive reply.  I've read many of the forum threads about the bad switches.  I understand and agree with you to a point.  I have brand new radio shack micro switches and factory switches from Hermes.  The switches aren't E-stop tripping right away. I may be adjusting something and a few minutes later I go to run and realize the Z has triggered. or any other switch near it's trigger point.  I will take your advice and look into the alternative moves after homing.  Kinda the long way around but with this question and issue being so common maybe the guys could budge on this one just a little instead of blaming switch debouncing all the time.  I say this all with the up most respect for the great work you guys have done.  Even our CNC at work move well away from the switches after homing.  Maybe it's a feel good thing.  Maybe not!   ;D

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:20:37 PM »
The switches aren't E-stop tripping right away. I may be adjusting something and a few minutes later I go to run and realize the Z has triggered. or any other switch near it's trigger point.

Noise is triggering your switches.

And btw, we don't work for Artsoft, or have anything to do with development. Just users, helping users. :)
Gerry

2010 Screenset

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 08:52:31 AM »
Thanks for your support Gerry.

What do you guys think about the R-parameter idea?  At work as a process technician we use R-parameters all the time to safe guard our programs and make things simple and quick to adjust without having to study the code.

Normally the factory has assigned R-parameters with the defaults being zero. You can freely add these parameters into your axis feedrates and spindles.  Our older machines only have 200, (R0-R199) free R-parameters but our newer machines have 1000, (R0-R999).

How it works is there is a separate "table" or page with an open type parameter table. There you can view the R-parameter table alter items there or just edit them in your program by assigning a value.  

Here is what the table would look like.

R0 =0          R1 =-.005
R2 =.002     R3 =1.625
R4 =25.4     R5 =.03999
etc...          etc...

Does Mach have something like this?  I know it has it's "program" variables for macro use but not any that are known to be free and open for other use.    

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 10:58:33 AM »

What do you guys think about the R-parameter idea?
Does Mach have something like this?

I personally have no use for this, but a similar function is already available. Try the following code.

#10=5   ( Slow speed)
#11=10  ( High Speed)
#12=8    ( project X length)

N10 G01 X[5+#12] F#10
N20 G01 Y2.25 F[#11+#10]
Gerry

2010 Screenset

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 12:16:26 PM »
As Gerry stated Mach has always had the #parameters. IT also gives you access to internal values such as g59 offsets via Gcode.

(;-) TP

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »
Okay that is exactly what I was looking for.

What range of #parameters are free to use without corrupting the Mach's use.

#0 - #1000 ?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 09:30:30 PM »
That I know of there is NO compiled listing of all the #parameters. Over the years I have seen partial list of things but nothing definitive.

I'll Take another look see, (;-) TP
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »
I found the list... Even the parameter Gerry suggested are used in MACH in some fashion so they could interfere.  Would be nice to have even just 20 sure fire not open purpose parameters that won't screw anything else up.  Might have to just pick some that are not likely to be used.  Hate to take that chance though!