Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:02:55 AM

Author Topic: Importing Text from CorelDRAW for engraving  (Read 14594 times)

Importing Text from CorelDRAW for engraving
« on: September 30, 2011, 05:34:55 PM »
I have made an amazing discovery, which I wanted to share with everyone who is using CorelDRAW. I recently upgraded to version X4 of CorelDRAW, and was using it to create artwork for engraving with my CNC Router. If you have ever tried to import files containing text into LazyCAM, I am sure that you have experienced the problem this poses: the font used will invariably come in as an Outline of the actual font. This poses a problem, because the lines used to construct the font are so close together, that instead of a delicately detailed engraving, you end up with a largely unrecognizable hole being carved into the wood!
While composing a CDR file to send to Corel's Jeff Harrison about macros for use in CorelDRAW, I came across a work-around for this problem. The Trace utility available in X4 features a Centerline, Technical drawing option. The steps I used, are as follows:
1-Using the Text tool in CorelDRAW, I typed in the desired text
2-I selected the text, and changed the Font to Edwardian Script (any font you desire which is installed on your system works here).
3-I then selected the text, and converted to Artistic Text format, and Grouped it together.
4-I selected Convert to Bitmap from the Bitmaps menu
5-I selected the Trace option, Centerline Trace, Technical drawing
6-I exported the selected result as a HPGL PLT file
7-I opened the file from LazyCAM's Open Vector File option, and selected HPGL PLT as the format

I then selected the layer, and the tool of choice (engraving bit) and set the depth , and then Posted the file to Mach3! The engravings are beautiful!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Importing Text from CorelDRAW for engraving
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 07:41:52 PM »
Sounds great and thanks for sharing. Post some pics when you get a chance.
RICH
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 12:24:28 AM »
I have had some success with engraving before. I use Corel X6, export as .dxf, load into SheetCam and post to Mach3. I have followed the steps from the first post and it seemed to work. I am new at this so I'm sure I need some guidance.

I have a file (Bass Freak 1-1.dxf) that is not showing up correctly in SheetCam and I want to ask what I can do to fix it.

First of all, the drawing is so far from the work-space that it is barely visible. Where do I correct this error? In Corel or SheetCam? ...and how?

Second, there are extra lines that are connecting the letters that I want to remove. In this case I cannot figure out how to fix the "r" in "Rocker". There is a double line in the "r" that seems to bee two loops tied together instead of the usual two that are separate. I can usually delete one of them and things will be fine. Since I cannot delete one of those lines, does this cause the shading entities to change from red to yellow in this letter? I can't figure out the best way to eliminate this problem and as it stands, I can't use the gcode. Maybe I could edit the actual gcode once I get to the point of understanding it better. Also, there are two sets of lines for almost every bit for this job. Is there a way to eliminate the duplicate lines that would be simpler than to select edit contours, right click them and moving them to another (invisible) layer? This seems tedious and I'n hoping for an easier way.

If this is not relevant, I hope the mods will move it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:33:25 AM by dorrisant »
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 12:36:12 AM »
Here are some screenshots that may help...
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 06:56:59 AM »
Greetings Dorrisant. I feel your pain, in trying to deal with engraving text. I am not at all familiar with SheetCAM, so cannot offer any guidance there. When I received the notice email about your post, I had quite honestly forgotten about that post. Since it has been almost 7 years ago. I have since overcome the problem (of outlines of any imported text, instead of single-line font characters). It's NOT an easy fix! It requires a LOT of very tedious work to do, but I have created "Font" files which I use for engravings. They are NOT actually "Fonts", but rather bezier curve traces of each character in each desired font. I then painstakingly place copies of each letter, and arrange them manually on the page for any engravings I require.  A word of advice: Unless you are using a laser as the cutting tool for engravings, it is important to remember the size of your cutter will dictate the smallest character sizes you can use. While it is possible to engrave letters as small as 0.5" in height, one must remember that lower-case letters such as the letter "e" will be unrecognizable, if attempts are made to engrave very small lettering. (I.E. the "hole" in the lower case letter "e" will be just that: a HOLE) Therefore, it is my recommendation, to limit all small engravings to Upper-Case letters only. Adopting this practice, will allow one to engrave letters as small as 0.25" in height, with acceptable results. Hope this helps!