Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:40:59 AM

Author Topic: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion  (Read 134954 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: 1997 DYNA MYTE DM4800 VMC to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2012, 03:21:26 AM »
If you can get it cheap enough then it still may be worth getting but really an inspection would be the only way to know. Chances are if the lube system was working then the screws will be ok and likely just the thrust bearings are needing replaced. Inspect the screws and see if they are pitted or look badly worn, if you can remove the motor and turn the screws by hand to see if they feel rough. If the screws are a bit worn it still may not be all bad as you can get them cleaned and reballed, the larger balls run on a different part of the ball track so should be on an unworn part. Having said that it all depends on the condition of the screws, if they are badly rusted then  it may be even reballing will be no use. Inspection is the only way to know for sure and getting at a cheap price (scrap value) is a must I would say.
Hood

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2012, 04:30:39 AM »
Yes I agree with hood. Some of the ac motors on later machines had the motor commutation performed on the control motherboard using the encoder feedback. If an encoder went down it was impossible to have a motor run away as the control needed the encoder to command the motor rotation. The encoder signal was then used for positioning and speed at the drive.
The early Fanuc ac drives worked this way before they went digital.  On the digital Fanuc drives all the position speed and commutation was done on the control and the drive was just a dumb power supply for the motor.
John
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2012, 08:09:01 PM »
JH, how tall is the 4800 with the head all the way down? Will it fit through a 7' door?
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2012, 08:16:37 PM »
JH, how tall is the 4800 with the head all the way down? Will it fit through a 7' door?

On the 4800, the Z Servo needs to be removed after the head is lowered.  Then it will fit under an 8 foot door.  Its BIG....  12,000 lbs too
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2012, 08:32:23 PM »

On the 4800, the Z Servo needs to be removed after the head is lowered.  Then it will fit under an 8 foot door.  Its BIG....  12,000 lbs too

Hmm, the 4500 I'm looking at with the head up was 96". Did you mean 7' door? I went back to your first posts after I posted this message and saw your pictures moving it in the garage. It "looked" like you had 7' garage doors??

Edited:
Holy crap, the 4800 is much bigger than the 4500. I measured the 4500, its foot print is 7'x7' with the head up 8'. I think it is about 7K lbs.
It appears I struck a deal on the machine for near scrap value. All I can hope is that replacing the thrust bearings will help take some of the slop out of it. Then I might consider having the ball screws rebuilt or reballing the nuts.

Thanks JH
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:35:09 PM by Marty_Escarcega »
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2012, 08:53:51 PM »
8 foot door for sure.  If your drives are 3 separate units, I think they can be configured for step dir.  This would save you a ton of time an money.

Find the specs on drivers, I'll help you find the data sheets.  I did hours and hours of research on all Mitsubishi drives.

« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2012, 09:07:06 PM »
8 foot door for sure.  If your drives are 3 separate units, I think they can be configured for step dir.  This would save you a ton of time an money.

Find the specs on drivers, I'll help you find the data sheets.  I did hours and hours of research on all Mitsubishi drives.

8 foot door for sure.  If your drives are 3 separate units, I think they can be configured for step dir.  This would save you a ton of time an money.

Find the specs on drivers, I'll help you find the data sheets.  I did hours and hours of research on all Mitsubishi drives.

Well, I hope that it will fit through my garage door. The fact with the head up its 8' leaves me some hope on this machine.
Here is a link to a hand full of pictures of the electronic cabinet. Maybe you can tell me if this is the same as you had. I can't open the left side door yet but it appeared those are the axis drives with the cables hanging off of them?
https://picasaweb.google.com/marty.escarcega/DM4500

Marty
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:13:50 PM by Marty_Escarcega »

Offline cnc-it

•  153 153
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2012, 07:52:01 AM »
The frequel is the spindle drive and the other unit is the Mitsubishi cnc controller. Expensive to buy but super reliable.
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »
It looks like your servo amplifier is the same as mine, just maybe a lower power version.  I thinks its the 3 AXIS Integrated version that was not easy to interface with Step and Dir. 

All Manuals can be found here:
http://www.meau.com/eprise/main/sites/public/Downloads/Manuals/default
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2012, 02:21:31 PM »
It looks like your servo amplifier is the same as mine, just maybe a lower power version.  I thinks its the 3 AXIS Integrated version that was not easy to interface with Step and Dir.  

All Manuals can be found here:
http://www.meau.com/eprise/main/sites/public/Downloads/Manuals/default

Bummer. Well, I have a good friend who is an EE, maybe he can sort it out. Otherwise will likely go your route. Are the servos DC brush? or Brushless or are they AC?

Did you keep the Frequol spindle drive and spindle motor? If so, what are you using to power your machines in your home shop?
I know I can seperate the controls with single phase AC but the spindle drive is another story and am a bit concerned about running the Frequol spindle drive from a rotary converter.....

Going over this afternoon to measure the machine to see if I can get it in my garage. Even if I have to partially disassemble. I have room once in. I have 10' ceilings. But only a  7' door.  :-\
Marty
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:23:32 PM by Marty_Escarcega »