Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:40:36 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 Scaling Problem  (Read 26368 times)

Mach 3 Scaling Problem
« on: July 12, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »
I am relatively new to CNC and am in the process of learning and running sample g-code programs on a 3 axis mill routing machine that I recently built. I have encountered a problem with the size of the parts that I am cutting as they are considerably smaller than what the original design calls for.  I have also used the roadrunner program to test my machine and although my machine cuts it out, it end up being quite small. I initially thought that I  had set up Mach 3 incorrectly but when I checked the "Units" setting it was set for inches and the various g-code programs that I have used were also in inches and yet this problem persists. I am at a complete loss as to what is causing this peoblem and would certainly appreciate getitng some advice as to how to fix it.  Much appreciated.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 Scaling Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:38:35 AM »
Hi Ukie,

Your Steps Per unit are probably set wrongly in Motor Tuning (perhaps you are using a reduction gearing on your motors or perhaps you are using Microsteps and  have not allowed for this ?)

As far as scale is concerned;
You can see the size of a loaded GCode program in the Toolpath page under Program Limits.
On the main page you can adjust the Scale DRO's (currently set to +1.000) and for example +2.000 (press return key after entry) for X Axis and Y Axis will produce double size and you can check this in the Toolpath page under Program Limits (you need to click the Regen.Toolpath button).

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 01:50:32 PM »
Thanks. I will give this a try.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 02:36:27 PM »
I have tried restting the x and y scales in toolpath but my changes are not being accepted by Mach 3. Settings keep on reverting back to what they were previously. What do I need to do to overcome this?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 04:12:02 PM »
If you are sure you are hitting the RETURN key as Tweak mentioned, then there might be a G50 in the beginning of your code. If so, remopve it as it resets all scale factors to 1.0
RC

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:09:50 PM »
I managed to get the scaling setting figured out. Thanks for your help.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 11:39:50 AM »
Hi All,
I need to be saved once again! I was wondering if there is a way of scaling down in Mach 3. I tried playing with the scale figures on the main page and successful in flipping the image from left to right and so on, but if i enter -2 in the X and Y the image is all distorted. Any way i'm not bothered cause some kind soul will save me again!!
Best regards
Greg

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 11:46:58 AM »
Hi Greg,

The axis Scale DRO's take a bit of getting used to but for example +1.0000 is full size, +0.5000 is half size, +0.2500 is quarter size etc.

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 12:48:24 AM »
Another Noobie in CNC world.
My problem is that I am trying to cut a small piece but Mach3 is scale X2. I am not sure what to do? please help!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 03:22:15 AM »
Another Noobie in CNC world.
My problem is that I am trying to cut a small piece but Mach3 is scale X2. I am not sure what to do? please help!

If the finished X-Y size is double what you require then change the X and Y axis DRO's from +1.0000 to +0.5000 (pressing Enter after each change).

note...
This will affect the X-Y scale of the finished part but may cause problems with tool radius compensation under some circumstances.

Tweakie.
PEACE