Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:18:42 PM

Author Topic: Comments on smoothstepper  (Read 4733 times)

Comments on smoothstepper
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »
Hi Guys,

I've been looking at a USB breakout board and found the smoothstepper and the other one iIve been discussing here: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,18782.0.html.

I'm very tempted to go for it rather than the ss but thought that I should ask the ss users what they think and if they would reccomend it. I noticed a lot of issues with the ss, but then again, people only complain if they get stuck not when everything is working. My concern with the other one is driver updates and support. Not that the driver needs much updating if there are no bugs...

Best Regards

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Comments on smoothstepper
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 10:43:58 AM »
I use a SS on one machine and as far as I know it uses the original drivers. Works perfectly.
The BIG advantage of the SS is the excellent backup and help if you are unlucky enough to run into problems.

There is hardly ever any backup when you buy stuff from China but the price is cheap so it can be treated as 'throw away' if it goes wrong but getting help is usually impossible - you are on your own.

That's my 2cents worth.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 12:31:04 PM »
Thanks again Tweakie, I'm torn between the devil I know and the one I don't. I've read a lot of negative things about Ss, homing limits not working, eratic spindle and promised features which is still not completed. Yes, the Chinese one does not really have any support system, unless I can get hold of the guy who made it. The guy from CNCDIY said he can send the source code, this will help with debugging and future modifications. Either way both are made in a far away country. As a side note, I just bought a Metabo bench grinder which is giving me problems - local support is very poor, might as well not have any!

Best regards

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 12:49:17 PM »
The guy from CNCDIY said he can send the source code, this will help with debugging and future modifications.

Don't want to worry you but Xu Lifeng probably put all his C++ comments in Chineese  ;D

Tweakie.

(I keep looking at those Chinese boards on ebay I just need to raise the cash).
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 01:21:02 PM »
Yes, but luckily I speak C! The one company said I can have it for $240 including shipping, so about a $50 saving which can go towards customs duties.... My pennies are also tight but it's my birthday next month and since my bench grinder gift to myself was not much of an succes I'll need some more retail therapy to make me feel better!

Best regards

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »
I've read a lot of negative things about Ss, homing limits not working, eratic spindle and promised features which is still not completed.

When were those things posted? While I too have read similar things, there were several years ago. I haven't really seen any negative posts about the SS in the last year.

And from what I've read, I would think that there are thousands of SS users, vs apparently 0 using the Chinese board.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html