Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 10:03:00 AM

Author Topic: Would someone please help me get started  (Read 5723 times)

Offline AndyG

•  14 14
    • View Profile
Would someone please help me get started
« on: May 22, 2011, 01:26:30 AM »
I am new to CNC; just purchased the Mach3, LazyCAM pro, Add-ons (Mill).
Would someone help me get started with a rectangle shape that will need
a pocket milled out of the middle (yes, I know there will not be square inside
corners). I can do the .dxf drawing, however I am missing many pieces to
connect the dots. I have viewed the basic videos, and downloaded the LazyCAM
manual (which I hope to read soon). I have attached the .dxf to this post.
Would someone be able to turn it into a .tap file letting me know how to do this:
the pocket is 1.133" x .127", then I will need a pause to secure the piece from
where the inside cut was just made (I will tap and fabricate a custom clamp); then
the outside rectangle will need to be cut which is 1.51" x .3906"; the tool is a 3/32"
end mill, with 2 cutters. I have a CNC converted HF47158, which I usually run at max
spindle speed of 4000. However, what should the Feed rate, plunge speed, max cut per/
pass, and spindle speed be? I someone would be so kind as to help me with this example
I believe that I can accomplish most all else I will want to do. Thank you in advance.

Offline AndyG

•  14 14
    • View Profile
Re: Would someone please help me get started
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 01:42:32 AM »
I forgot to specifiy the material is C260 brass (half hard), .080 in thickness.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Would someone please help me get started
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 08:23:58 AM »
Quick and dirty:
You create the dxf and save it as a vesion 12 dxf. Open the dxf file in LC and then clean, now go to Pockets, define the tool,
select what kind of pocket you want to do. You can create a clamp and place it to avoid cutting into it. Now go to Layers, select/define  the tool and then define the cut for how you want the Z  to move. That creates the pathing for the pocket.

Now to machine the outside rectangle you go to Project, select the profile you want to do and create an Offset, again defining the tool to be used, go to layers and again select the tool and set parameters for the tool, define the Cut.

You post to mach and ready to run.

For speeds and feeds associated with different end mills and material, do a search since I  posted info on recomendations
from Cleveland Tool.

Read the LC manual and Mach manual ........you now know about fishing  and hopefully after some casting can feed  yourself......., ;)

RICH