Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:04:17 AM

Author Topic: Mill Axis direction question  (Read 12488 times)

Mill Axis direction question
« on: April 13, 2011, 06:21:44 PM »
Hello All - I have a real newbie question here so apologies if this seems obvious. I am new to Mach3 and CNC.

I am a bit confused on axes direction for x and y for my small 3 axis vertical milling machine. From the point of view of the operator standing in front of the machine is x+ the table moving left to right and is y+ the table moving towards me - or is this the wrong way round or is it even important? Z axis I have no problem understanding.

If i run g code to cut a square the axes seem to move in the opposite direction to the toolpath on Mach3.

My machine homes with the table all the way towards me and all the way to my left.

Do I have a problem (if so how do i fix it) or am I just looking at this from the wrong perspective?

Thanks in advance.

TheMule

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mill Axis direction question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 02:04:01 AM »
What you need to think about is the cutter in relation to the workpiece, so for a positive X move the cutter will move left to right so the table moves right to left. For a positive move in the Y the cutter will move away from you so table will move towards.
If you have it wrong then change the reverse option on the Homing and limits page (from Config menu).
For the homing you have the table fully positive in X and Y  ao you will need to enter a Home off value equal to the distance of axis travel, again on Homing and limits page. One last thing is you will likely need to change the Homing direction, again on the Homing and Limits page.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »
Thanks Hood. That makes sense, the axes now move in the right direction. I had the direction and the softlimits both the wrong way round. Themule.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:10:29 PM »
No probs, good you are sorted :)
Hood

Offline SK

•  1 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 05:50:13 AM »
Hell Hood,

I have a similar problem in understanding the Milling axis. On my machine (Dugard Eagle 450) it shows in opposite direction. But I program it the way I was taught at college.

I hope the image will provide more explanation!

Your help will be much appreciated in understanding the problem.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 07:26:56 AM »
Both are correct, yours is with regards the tool in relation to the work material. The diagram on the mill is also correct as it is referring to table movement and not cutter movement.
Hood