Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:35:17 AM

Author Topic: Slave 4th axis?? or better option  (Read 4185 times)

Slave 4th axis?? or better option
« on: March 18, 2011, 06:16:51 PM »
Fairly new to this do it yourself cnc stuff.  I have not l yet played with mach 3 but was wondering about how to do this.   Just building a cnc now so can accomodate some design changes as I go if needed.  I never received a manual with Mach 3, and if my answer is on a certain page can you direct me to where it might be? So I can find it once I do get the manual?

I have 3 axis cnc with 4th axis rotary table which has a long table attatched to it, it is 60" long.  I bought 2 - 12" rotary tables one for each end ( so it looks like a very big trunnion table).  What is the proper way to get each rotary table to move together, one has to run oposite though because of positioning? I have a 5 axis controler using Mach 3. but am running only 4 axis, so I can slave one axis.
A)  can I slave axis A
B)  do I have to use an A and B axis
C)  or should I just link together by shaft and gears the 2 rotary tables which would incure backlash?
D) or give your opinion on the best way to do this.
Similar idea in picture only that it is attached to a 3 axis cnc

Thanks for your help
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:25:01 PM by Tucker »
Re: Slave 4th axis?? or better option
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 06:29:21 PM »
You can reverse the direction of motor in the Homing tab under Menu, Homing

You do not have to slave A axis if they are both moving together and if they are setup under Menu, port and pins, Motor output

Or you could use two wires from the breakout board and feed them to 2 motor controller, that way, they'll move together

If you use A and B axis, you will have to modify the program and could be prone to error

A manual is available here:  http://www.machsupport.com/documentation.php

Jeff
Re: Slave 4th axis?? or better option
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 04:25:05 AM »
Very cool idea, remember to post pictures of your machine as we love to see unusal machines here!