Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:16:48 AM

Author Topic: 3 PAGE LATHE SCREEN - WIZARD ADDITIONS  (Read 44379 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
3 PAGE LATHE SCREEN - WIZARD ADDITIONS
« on: November 27, 2010, 06:24:48 AM »
PLease place any requests or post any wizards you may have that relate to the "THREE PAGE LATHE SCREEN" in this thread.
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: 3 PAGE LATHE SCREEN - WIZARD ADDITIONS
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 07:03:04 AM »
Wes,
I sent you the untested wizards for the lathe. Maybe just start with the 4 or 5 new ones.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:56:20 AM »
 I have taken the time to review and note those options below along with some  + or - comments.
That provides a base to come from for constructive comments I will make in another reply.

My thinking around the wizard  .....what additions to the therading  wizard would make it more complete and if
 possible would eliminate the minus and add the plus to have a single improved wizard if possible.

THREADING OPTIONS ( Note: that there are others but wil limit my comments  )
1. G32 code
+allows for a single pass thread  ( same as a G01 at a feedrate but provides for triggering of the thread cycle )
- not really a wizard or canned cycle
+required for picking up a thread (most users will probably never do it ) and can be used  post a
 threading  operation to do a clean up / single pass / bring an oversized thread to tolerance if so desired

2.G76 CANNED CYCLE
+ it's a canned cycle that can be run from the MDI
- requires a  " reference sheet" to use unless the user remembers the code
- multi thread  dosn't work  and hangs on the second G76 ( but then most users won't do or be able to do a satisfactory
  multiple thread)
- settings in Mach Turn  sets defaults for items if not specified in the G76 cycle ( so be carefull ) yet on the positive side
  you can explore this and do some "wild" threads depending on the settings ie; like a acme thread with a single sharp v tool
  if I recall correctly

3.SIMPLE THREADING WIZARD
+ Simple to use ( guess that it will be used by the bulk of users unless more advanced threads are desired)
- Requires a change to the M1076 macro for posted thread code to be in  G32  or  G76 posted format
+ Will calculate / check that you are not exceeding your max feedrate and acceleration ... and warn you...  
   I believe  this is important and should always be run in the wizard.  

4.QUICK THREADS
 + is more advanced, outside / multiple/work offsets / coolant & etc
 - because it is more advanced, the user is faced with a more complex screen, BUT, the screen layout could be improved
   to assist in inputing the numbers and  the color of the text leaves something to be desired ( take this in the right way Scott
   as i know how much effort it takes )
 - the use of the minor diameter from the Thread Calculator will be incorrect for a sharp v thread ( should be .866x Pitch )
   if one uses the calculator info... that is bad ...not your doing Scott, but very very important to note. Note that
   the posted code from Quick Threads is correct based on a sharp v cutter.
 + provides for a for a  caclulated spindle speed  

5. MISCLEANOUS
   G76_ threads ( in  Mach directory )
   - a calculator for showing comparison data for different type threading  based on G76, Sandvik, Kenmetal
     and not really a code generator. There are others from different manufactures which will give pathing based on their
    specific tooling. Additionaly there is another wizard which does the above  but the wizard is complex, never completed,
    and should not be used.

RICH
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:56:12 AM by RICH »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 10:59:42 AM »
Let the discussion begin....... :)
Suggest we just let a discussion take place, see how it all goes, and get more opinions on maybe what would be done ......if anything.
 Maybe just stick to functionality as any screen changes ie; colors, text type, placement can be totally subjective and becomes a discussion in itself.
 I'll start by "talking in circles"  and one option at a time based on what i posted before.

1. G32 code
This would be a  rather specialty kind of wizard to be added .
For picking up a thread a new screen would need to be done and VB code written to do what is required. BUT,
you have to ask  how manny times a "year" it will be used if ever, yet....I don't know of a wizard or program
out there that provides for picking up a thread. Know the steps  to do it....is it worth the effort?

The thought then goes to cleaning up or bringing an oversize thread to size, BUT, you can do that using your wizard as it is.
Yet, if your focused on the task  a wizard could be handy.

RICH

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 11:40:03 AM »
Hi Rich,

Use the simple threading wizard for internal threads all the time. Define the start and end diameters correspondingly and it will do internal or external.

Dan

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »
Daone/Rich,

Ok,

Rich: I would need a sequence of events and proceedures you need to do, to do a G32 and Pick-up-the-thread.

DaOne: other G codes via, pluign, the answer is not directly........  the G codes are done in machs interpreter, so to do it natively you would have to do it there.
if the interpreter saw in your G code whne you load it, a forien gcode, it will throw an error. Currently, custom "G codes" are done as custom M codes.

SCOTT

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »
I would need a sequence of events and procedures you need to do, to do a G32 and Pick-up-the-thread.

Scott
I'll post something for the G32 first.

RICH

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »
Rich, I haven't got them. How did you send?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 01:02:26 PM »
Wes, I sent to your gmail address that you gave me
I'll check and see if the mail bounced......
RICH

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 01:04:13 PM »
Dan,

Here is what I got so far on the wizard you have requested. I am still finishing up on the code. Let me know what you think.

Wes